ARE Update
In This Issue: More information about the migration to PSI, exam calculator updates, Prometric’s mask policy, and NCARB's progress addressing technical issues.
Illustration of paper airplanes with PSI and Prometric logos, all heading towards the ARE® text.
Migration to PSI
Starting in early 2022, you can take the Architect Registration Examination® (ARE®) through our new exam delivery partner, PSI. PSI will replace Prometric for both in-person and online testing.

The ARE’s content and structure are not changing. However, there are several key updates that candidates should be prepared for when the ARE migrates to PSI. These include new test center locations, enhanced online technical support and proctoring, improved score reports and study resources, and a more flexible scheduling and rescheduling process. 

Throughout the fall, we will continue to share regular updates on the migration to PSI, so make sure to check our blog for the most up-to-date information. 
Learn More
Illustration of the exam calculator on a desktop computer.
Exam Calculator Update
In late August, NCARB rolled out a new exam calculator, replacing the traditional calculator that has been in use since 2016. 

Following the launch of the new calculator, a software bug was identified with the tool causing NCARB to immediately roll back the new calculator. While we address the issue with our exam delivery vendor, we have reverted to the traditional calculator on both the demo and live exams. The traditional calculator continues to provide the functionality to solve all calculation items on the ARE and will remain in place until further notice. 
Illustration of a safety COVID-19 mask.
Masks Continue to Be Required at Prometric Test Centers
Prometric continues to require all individuals at their testing centers to wear an approved face covering for the duration of their time at the location, including test takers and test center staff. This provision will remain in force, even in jurisdictions that have recently adopted less rigorous COVID-19 policies. If you are not in compliance with this policy, you will not be allowed to sit for your scheduled appointment, will be marked as a no-show for the appointment, and will not receive a refund.
Prometric’s COVID-19 policies shall remain in effect until further notice. Learn more about Prometric’s requirements.
Update on Technical Issues
NCARB and our test delivery partners, Prometric and Zoomorphix, continue to address technical issues for both in-person and online exams. The overall proportion of candidates reporting tech issues held steady at 9 percent. Online tech issues have declined and are now being reported by 22 percent of candidates.   

The majority of technical issues for online testers are caused by short lapses in internet connectivity from an online tester’s service provider, which results in Prometric halting the exam delivery until a new internet connection is established. You can decrease the likelihood of a potential need to restart by ensuring your internet service can support a consistent stable connection throughout the duration of your examination appointment. If you are testing online, be sure to follow all recommended guidance—including disabling all antivirus and internet security applications—prior to launching your ARE appointment. Learn more about the dos and don’ts for taking ARE 5.0 online.

All online test takers should complete a free test run appointment that allows you to verify your online proctoring setup, including your testing environment, meets the necessary Prometric requirements. A test run can be scheduled at no cost through your NCARB Record.
Illustration of three cogs representing overall, online and onsite reporting of technical issues.
We’re continuing quality assurance reviews of both Zoomorphix and Prometric updates that should improve the overall performance of the ARE and will be deployed this fall. The majority of exam administrations (approximately 81 percent) continue to be delivered at Prometric centers, while the remaining 19 percent were taken online.

If you experience a technical issue, immediately notify your proctor and then contact NCARB within 15 days. Remember, if you’re unable to complete the exam due to a major technical issue, we will work with you to reschedule the division at no cost.

1401 H Street NW Suite 500
Washington, DC, 20005
Twitter Facebook Instagram LinkedIn YouTube
powered by emma