In an effort to improve communication between ECS/UAS and faculty colleagues, the Executive Committee of the Senate (ECS) at its August 12, 2021 retreat recommended that each week, a general message will be sent out to all faculty. This message will highlight the immediate past ECS/UAS meeting and give a preview of the upcoming ECS/UAS meeting. In particular, the highlight will summarize the key agenda items and provide context on the key votes; the pros and cons will be summarized and the key arguments for each highlighted. Herein are the highlights of the UAS meeting of November 5, 2021 and a preview of the ECS meeting of November 12, 2021. Meetings of the ECS are restricted to members of the ECS, their alternates, and others whom the ECS may invite, pursuant to SG 1.01.7.2. Meetings of the UAS are open pursuant to SG 1.01.6.2.
Highlights of UAS Meeting November 5, 2021
- A summary will be sent regarding the discussions at the faculty forums.
- Reminder about Teach-In November 10-11. Session hosts are needed.
- ECS Title IX taskforce memo has been sent to President Mantella.
- Some faculty rationale for support and against support for RH2025 after the October 1 UAS meeting have been shared on the Faculty Governance website.
- ECS meets next on November 12.
- Our nominee for MASU Professor of the Year from two years ago, Steve Maddox, won Professor of the Year. Our nominee this year is Erica Hamilton.
- The BOT approved the Education for Young Children program, a collaboration between CLAS and CECI. GVSU is the first MI university to put forth this program, which is mandated by the state.
Student Senate President’s Report
- Student senate hosted Open Access Week.
- Student Senate is working with the Lanthorn on an article about Campus Dining.
- Students expressed displeasure with campus dining at the BOT meeting during public comment.
- Student senate will sponsor a food drive in November.
- Bonnie Dykstra presented on student mental health services at GVSU.
- Online Education and Microcredential Council (OEMC) Faculty representatives were confirmed.
- Online Education and Microcredential Council (OEMC) Memo on Leadership and Succession Planning was supported.
- Graduate Council (GC) Memo on Dual Level Enrollment Policy Change was supported.
- Affiliate Faculty Advisory Committee (AFAC) Memo on Affiliate Faculty Evaluation Procedure was supported.
- Academic Policies and Standards Committee (APSC) Memo on Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) Policy for Undergraduates was supported.
- Virus Action Team (VAT) Update: Most faculty, staff, and students are in compliance with the vaccine mandate.
For more details on the above items, please go here.
Preview of ECS Meeting of November 12, 2021
- Discussion on Use of LIFT Survey with an Update from Faculty Personnel Policy Committee (FPPC).
- Faculty Teaching and Learning Center Advisory Committee (FTLCAC) Memo on Learning Management System (LMS) Selection Feedback Survey Findings Report.
- Faculty Salary and Budget Committee (FSBC) Memo on University Policies Language on Pay Equity.
- Faculty Salary and Budget Committee (FSBC) Memo on Allocation of Federal Funds.
- Faculty Salary and Budget Committee (FSBC) Memo on Request for Meaningful Dialogue.
- Faculty Activity Plan Designation Discussion.
Please, feel free to reach out to your ECS or UAS representative from your College/University Libraries in order to provide input on any ECS agenda item that you may like to weigh in on.
Thank you for your continuous interest in faculty governance.
Felix N. Ngassa
Chair of ECS/UAS 2021-2022