Dear CC Community,
While some institutions are planning for remote learning in January, CC continues to be committed to an in-person experience for all students.
As you may be aware, Omicron is a new, more highly transmissible variant of the Coronavirus. Booster doses of the vaccines are effective against symptomatic illness from Omicron. While this new variant does not appear to cause more severe illness, given its rapid spread in the U.S., we must anticipate higher numbers of COVID-19 cases among the CC community. In order to be proactive, we are taking important steps to make your break and return to campus go as smoothly as possible.
In preparation for an in-person J-Block and Spring Semester, and in response to the spread of the Omicron variant, we are updating our COVID-19 protocols starting Jan. 3:
- We strongly suggest students pick up a test kit at Tutt Library circulation desk and test prior to leaving campus for Winter Break. This provides an additional layer of protection for you and your families. We will not send out emails about screening testing to vaccinated students this week.
- All students will be tested following Winter Break; testing protocols may be enhanced upon return.
- A COVID-19 booster dose is required for all students, faculty, and staff who are eligible by Monday, Jan. 3.
- Vaccination documentation portal instructions are available here.
- If not yet eligible, you MUST receive your booster as soon as you’re eligible.
- CDC allows booster doses of any of the three vaccines. Pfizer and Moderna booster doses appear to be most effective against Omicron.
- If you have an exemption, you will automatically receive a booster requirement exemption; we urge you to get vaccinated as soon as possible.
- N95 or KN95 masks (or similar, aerosol filtering masks such as KF94 or FFP2) are required in all indoor public spaces. The college will provide these as needed.
- If you receive positive COVID-19 test results during Winter Break, follow isolation protocols and contact the COVID-19 coordinator, (719) 413-9588.
- CC is prepared to respond to a COVID-19 surge on campus. Expect additional enhancements to our COVID-19 risk mitigation protocols following Winter Break.
We anticipate enhanced protocols will be temporary, as we respond to a potential Omicron surge. Thank you for your commitment to adhering to our risk mitigation protocols throughout the break and as we return to campus. We will share additional information in early January.
We wish you a peaceful and healthy holiday and Winter Break.
Chief Public Health Advisor to the President
Chair, COVID-19 Policy and Implementation Committee