As the semester begins to wrap up, so will our “Small Changes for Inclusivity” learning community. Our final event, on Friday, December 3rd, will provide space to share the good work that Moody faculty have done in their classes this fall and an opportunity to look ahead to incorporating more inclusive teaching practices into spring courses. Thank you to all who have engaged with our learning community, we look forward to more opportunities to discuss inclusive teaching next semester.
3 Small Steps to Increase Inclusivity
- Check in on students individually, as possible, and as needed, around major assignments or challenging times in the semester.
- Normalize academic struggle and mistakes as opportunities for deeper learning.
- Provide a list of campus mental health and wellbeing resources, emergency funding, food insecurity, academic support, etc.
Best Practice Feature: Group Work
- Set expectations for respectful, professional collaboration.
- Assign roles to ensure engagement.
- Brainstorm qualities of an effective team, encourage group contracts.
- Use peer review and reflection in the assessment.
- Consider diverse skills, experiences, and perspectives when creating groups.