Dear Members of the Carleton Community,
I am pleased to share with you several updates about the formulation of a Community Plan for Inclusion, Diversity and Equity at Carleton, with a special focus on Black experiences (the “IDE Plan”).
You may recall that the Board of Trustees endorsed the creation of this IDE Plan at a special meeting on August 28. Since then, we have been working with the Board and College governance groups to develop a framework for the IDE Planning process that will help ensure the final plan addresses key issues and moves the College forward in substantive and lasting ways.
The steering group that will lead the IDE Planning effort will be co-chaired by Trustee Jeninne McGee ’85 and Professor Chico Zimmerman (Classics). That group will also include:
- Associate Professor Cherlon Ussery (Linguistics)
- Trustee Alison von Klemperer ’82 P’16
- Director of TRIO/SSS Trey Williams (Forum)
- Administrative Assistant for the Arts Sally Bell Pierce (SAC)
- Student Maya Rogers ‘22
- Multicultural Alumni Network Chair Jessica Brooks ‘09
- Vice President and Dean of Admissions and Financial Aid Art Rodriguez ‘96
- Vice President for External Relations Tommy Bonner
I am very grateful to each of these individuals, and especially the co-chairs, for taking on this vital service to Carleton. The co-chairs of the CEDI Leadership Board and the remaining members of the Tuesday Group will be “floating members” who will participate periodically in steering group meetings. The steering group can grow as needed and/or make use of existing governance structures and offices, such as the Office of Intercultural and International Life, as it progresses.
At its October meeting last week, I shared with the Board the following charge to the steering group: