In an effort to improve communication between ECS/UAS and faculty colleagues, the Executive Committee of the Senate (ECS) at its August 17, 2022 retreat reaffirmed a recommendation from August 12, 2021 that each week, a general message will be sent out to all faculty. This message will highlight the immediate past ECS/UAS meeting and give a preview of the upcoming ECS/UAS meeting. In particular, the highlight will summarize the key agenda items and provide context on the key votes; the pros and cons will be summarized and the key arguments for each highlighted. Herein are the highlights of the ECS meeting of September 9, 2022 and a preview of the ECS meeting of September 16, 2022. Meetings of the ECS are restricted to members of the ECS, their alternates, and others whom the ECS may invite, pursuant to SG 1.01.7.2. Meetings of the UAS are open pursuant to SG 1.01.6.2.
Highlights of ECS Meeting of September, 9, 2022
- Standing Committee Charges for 2022-23 were sent to Standing Committee Chairs.
- A Fireside Chat on Designing Education for the Future and Becoming a Student-ready University with Tia Brown is scheduled for Wednesday, September 14 from 11:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m., at the Alumni House on the Allendale Campus.
- National Voter Registration Day is Tuesday, September 20 from 10:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m.
- Nominations for the Intellectual Property Taskforce should be sent to Chair Ngassa (email@example.com).
- Information was emailed regarding forums the Provost is hosting. This information is also in this week’s Lakers Ready Newsletter.
- Provost Mili attended an EAB workshop on using data for student success.
- The Laker Line is assessing schedules and volume, as it does each fall. There is a shortage of bus drivers.
- A COVID vaccine clinic was held on campus on 9/9. Another COVID vaccine clinic is scheduled for October 15 from noon-5:00 p.m.
Student Senate President’s Report
- 10 potential new student senators have been interviewed.
- The new VP for Campus Affairs is Bianca Munoz.
- The VP for Educational Affairs position is currently vacant.
- Discussed the institutional data management policy that is being drafted. Vicki Thelen from IT attended as a guest and led the discussion.
- Discussed inclusive approaches to faculty mentoring, which are being explored by the Network of Advisors for Racial Equity Faculty Mentoring Implementation Team.
- Discussed the Laker Impression of Faculty Teaching Management Committee (LIFT-MC) Report on Bias and charged LIFT-MC to make specific recommendations.
- Reviewed the Online Education and Microcredential Council (OEMC) Report on Second Year of 2-Year Microcredential Process. This report will be on the agenda of the September 30 UAS meeting.
- Reviewed the University Assessment Committee (UAC) Report on Program Review Reportage. This report will be on the agenda of the September 30 UAS meeting.
For more details on the above items, please go here.
Preview of ECS Meeting of September 16, 2022
- Discussion of the 2022 EIC Report on Diversity of Faculty, Staff, and Students.
- Selection of LIFT-MC committee members.
- Discussion of Processes in the Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution.
- Discussion of Staff Departures Across the University.
- Discussion of the Equity and Inclusion Committee (EIC) Memo on Documenting Relationships.
- Discussion of the Faculty Facilities Planning Advisory Committee (FFPAC) Memo on Power and Electricity Access in Classrooms.
- Discussion of GVSU Tuition Models.
Please, feel free to reach out to your ECS or UAS representative from your College/University Libraries to provide input on any ECS agenda item that you may like to weigh in on.
Thank you for your continuous interest in faculty governance.
Felix N. Ngassa
Chair of ECS/UAS 2022-2023