August 18, 2021
Dear College of Education Faculty and Staff,
We're looking forward to seeing you soon for the start of the fall 2021 semester!
For those of you who are planning to be on campus in the Sánchez building tomorrow and/or Friday, we would like to share an important update.
Tomorrow, Thursday, August 19, there will be a pre-testing of the alarm system in Sánchez (SZB) to prepare for the final building inspection. This means that there will be intermittent noise coming from the 2nd floor, which will include occasional speaker announcements, flashing lights, and beeps beginning in the morning and possibly extending throughout the day. There will also be a final inspection on Friday, August 20 which will include alarm testing at 3pm that afternoon.
Please be advised that noise levels will be high on both days so make sure to plan accordingly.
Additional August Reminders
- The 2nd floor lobby and Student Services Center should be open by this date.*
- Until August 23, all traffic will continue to enter the building from an alternate entrance.
Last week of August:
- Escalators are scheduled to open.*
- Wayfinding improvements: Room numbers in SZB will reflect new wayfinding throughout the building. Please see the map of SZB's renumbered rooms here. Maps will be provided throughout Sánchez to assist students, faculty, and staff in locating classrooms and offices.
- Demolition of suite 216 will begin during this time (expect construction noise from this area).
*Planned date, subject to change.
- The Blanton Museum grounds are under construction until further notice. Access to and from the east side of Sanchez will be limited and pedestrian traffic will be routed north to 23rd and south to MLK. Please see advisory notice here.
- Staff and faculty will be notified in advance by Facilities if/when there will be additional construction in and around their workspaces.
- If you need to access your office on the 3rd or 4th floor prior to August 16, please contact Facilities to coordinate your visit.
- Facilities will continue to hold virtual office hours every Friday from 12-12:50 p.m. Please attend if you have specific questions regarding the renovations.
- Current entry into SZB is through a temporary public entrance on the west side of the building only.
- There will be no access through the celebrated entrance on the east side of SZB (typically accessible from the plaza) until after the fall semester begins.
- Entry at Al Kiva on the east side of SZB is open but has limited accessibility due to stairs leading up and down.
- Access to the 5th floor is via elevator and stairs only until after the fall semester begins.
- All mail deliveries can be picked up in SZB 216 until further notice.
If you have questions or concerns, please contact our team at SZB Renovation Communications (firstname.lastname@example.org). You can also find the most recent construction updates posted on our webpage.
As always, thank you for your patience as we near the final stages of this renovation project.
SZB Renovation Communications Team
College of Education | The University of Texas at Austin