In an effort to improve communication between ECS/UAS and faculty colleagues, the Executive Committee of the Senate (ECS) at its August 12, 2021 retreat recommended that each week, a general message be sent out to all faculty. This message will highlight the immediate past ECS meeting and give a preview of the upcoming ECS meeting. In particular, the highlight will summarize the key agenda items and provide context on the key votes; the pros and cons will be summarized and the key arguments for each highlighted. The Chair of ECS/UAS will continue to prepare a document on the highlights of the agenda for each UAS meeting and share with faculty a week before the meeting. Herein are the highlights of the ECS meeting of September 10, 2021 and a preview of the ECS meeting of September 17, 2021. Meetings of the ECS are restricted to members of the ECS, their alternates, and others whom the ECS may invite, pursuant to SG 1.01.7.2.
Highlights of ECS Meeting of September, 10, 2021
- Discussion of the Center for Civil Discourse.
- Update from the Title IX office and the change in leadership outlining the transition process for the previous and acting Title IX Coordinator.
- Provost search open fora
- Wednesday 9/8 105 attendees
- Thursday 9/9 93 attendees
- This feedback will be reviewed by the search committee and with the search firm.
- Feedback requested for digital roadmap: Deadline is Friday 9/17
- Teach-In November 10 and 11. Karen Gipson is the coordinator.
- Search process beginning immediately for a new Title IX Coordinator
- Enrollment numbers reported
- New Vice President of Development Laura Aiken will start soon.
Student Senate President’s Report
- Reach Higher 2025 (RH2025) presented at Student Senate. Student Senate will move forward with approval.
- Released first newsletter this week
- 9/11 events planned
- Hosting collaborating with the community State of Michigan Independent Citizens Redistricting Commission in the KC and will be visiting classrooms prior to their meeting.
- Discussion with Employee Ombuds Officer
- Academic Policies and Standards Committee (APSC) Memo on Prior Learning Credit-Undergraduate
- Deferred to the October 8 meeting, as the credit limit discussed by APSC does not appear in the memo
- Graduate Council (GC) Memo on Transfer of Credit to a Graduate Program
- There was a terminology change regarding regional institutions, so this change is entirely to align with federal terminology.
- Equity and Inclusion Committee (EIC) Report on Diversity of Faculty, Staff, and Students Across Colleges
- Equity in Personnel Processes (EPP) Task Force Report
- 11 recommendations discussed
- Discussion on managing virtual University Academic Senate (UAS) meetings
- Only voting UAS members and invited guests may speak
- Faculty should contact their UAS representative if there are points they want raised so that the UAS representatives can raise them
- Reach Higher 2025 (RH2025) endorsement is an agenda item for October 1
- Reach Higher 2025 is scheduled to present and get approval of the Board of Trustees (BOT) at the November meeting
- Faculty Fora on Shared Governance have been scheduled to be held virtually
- Wednesday October 27 10:00-11:00 am
- Thursday October 28 2:30-2:30 pm
For more details on the above items, please go here.
Preview of ECS Meeting of September 17, 2021
- Discussion with Mychal Coleman--Chief HR Officer
- GVSU Graduation Honors Policy
- Faculty Facilities Planning Advisory Committee (FFPAC) Memo on Electricity and PowerAccess in Classrooms
- FFPAC Memo on Sanitary Product Accessibility in Restrooms
- FFPAC Memo on Active Learning Spaces
- Active Learning Classroom Task Force Report