In an effort to improve communication between ECS/UAS and faculty colleagues, the Executive Committee of the Senate (ECS) at its August 12, 2021 retreat recommended that each week, a general message will be sent out to all faculty. This message will highlight the immediate past ECS/UAS meeting and give a preview of the upcoming ECS/UAS meeting. In particular, the highlight will summarize the key agenda items and provide context on the key votes; the pros and cons will be summarized and the key arguments for each highlighted. Herein are the highlights of the ECS meeting of January 14, 2022 and a preview of the UAS meeting of January 21, 2022. Meetings of the ECS are restricted to members of the ECS, their alternates, and others whom the ECS may invite, pursuant to SG 1.01.7.2. Meetings of the UAS are open pursuant to SG 1.01.6.2.
Highlights of ECS Meeting January 14, 2022
- This week, January 17-22, is the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr Commemoration week. See detail of events for January 17-22 at www.gvsu.edu/mlk
- Provost candidates are visiting campus this week, 01/18 & 1/19, 01/20 & 01/21, and next week, 01/24 & 01/25, 01/27 & 01/28. For schedules and information about the candidates, see https://www.gvsu.edu/provostsearch/
- The theme for the UAS 2021-22 Newsletter is “Adapting to Change and Reaching Higher Together”.
- Faculty forums will be held Tuesday February 22, 10:30-12 and Wednesday February 23, 2:30-4.
- UAS meets next on Friday, January 21.
- Please participate as much as possible in the Provost search.
- Enrollment is down 3.3% for headcount and 3.7% for credit hours as compared to Winter 2021. We are up 2.9% in graduate student enrollment as compared to Winter 2021.
- The Title IX external reviewers have submitted their report to General Counsel. Reviewers will attend ECS and UAS to answer questions.
Student Senate President’s Report
- RH2025 co-leads provided an update. UAS will vote on endorsement of RH2025 on January 21, 2022.
- Graduate Council (GC) Memo on Admissions Requirement Policy Change: Supported with recommendation to UAS
- Faculty Salary and Budget Committee (FSBC) Memo on Phased Retirement: Supported with recommendation to UAS.
- General Education Committee (GEC) Memo on Leadership and Succession Planning: Supported with recommendation to UAS.
- Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) Review Discussion: Update provided.
Preview of UAS Meeting of January 21, 2022
- Update of changes since the December 3, 2021 UAS meeting and the January 14, 2022 ECS meeting will be shared.
- Request for endorsement and endorsement vote.
For more details on the above items, please go here.
Please, feel free to reach out to your ECS or UAS representative from your College/University Libraries in order to provide input on any UAS agenda item that you may like to weigh in on.
Thank you for your continuous interest in faculty governance.
Felix N. Ngassa
Chair of ECS/UAS 2021-2022