Beginning Monday, May 18, 2020, community dental faculty cases will resume as appropriate and per OR guidelines.
- Universal masking will apply (information above).
- Dentists and dental assistants will complete COVID-19 daily screening upon entering the facilities.
- After screening, you will receive a sticker indicating you have been screened with the specific day of the week and calendar date. You must wear this screening sticker the entire time you are in a VUMC facility. If you are observed without a screening sticker, you will be asked to return to the screening stations for screening.
- Dentists are limited to one dental assistant per day.
- Patients will be required to complete asymptomatic COVID-19 screening prior to any case requiring anesthesia.
The scheduling dental office will communicate with the family the need for testing with the testing timeline, and direct the family to sites for testing when it is determined that the patient’s condition requires the OR. Alternately, the dental office can direct the patient and family to a testing site in the appropriate timeframe once they have confirmed scheduling.
Each patient is limited to one parent/guardian who will be required to complete COVID-19 screening and comply with universal masking per the VUMC visitor policy for Children’s Hospital.
- Testing should be completed 48-72 hours in advance of scheduled procedure. 48 hours if completed at VUMC facility (recommended); 72 hours if completed at non-VUMC facility. A list of VUMC pre-procedure testing locations can be found here.
- Upon arrival at VUMC site for testing, notify staff that child is there for pre-procedure testing.
- There are walk-in sites as well as sites where an appointment is required. These testing sites are not able to collect any other pre-operative labs that may be needed.
- Patients choosing to get tested outside of VUMC should allow 72 hours for results and must bring evidence of the test result with them on day of surgery. Results should be communicated as soon as received by MyHealth at Vanderbilt message or phone call.
- Self-isolation for patient and parent are required from the time of testing until arrival for surgery. Contact with people outside the home should be avoided, patients and parents should stay home, and should wear a mask if they have to go out in public.
The PATCH team will follow up for results and ensure the patient is cleared for the day of the procedure 24-48 hours prior to the case.
Cases will be cancelled for any patient who does not complete pre-procedure testing or does not have a result available.