Safe Return to School Update
Elementary students whose families opted for face-to-face instruction returned to the classrooms yesterday after inclement weather disrupted Monday’s scheduled return for students who opted for in-person instruction. The district gave teachers, students, and staff a much welcomed old-fashioned snow day Monday, with all students taking virtual lessons on Tuesday while staff worked from home. Administrators, teachers, and staff were ready to welcome students under new COVID safety protocols at William Penn and Wallin on Wednesday.
Middle school students who opted for in-person instruction are scheduled to return Monday, February 8th.
As we continue to plan for the safe return of Colonial students, please remember factors that impact this decision include:
• Positive staff cases and close contacts that impact the operations of the district.
• In-person instruction cannot operate unless there is an adequate level of personnel available. This includes administrators, teachers, paraprofessionals, custodians, nutrition services workers, bus drivers, and other support staff.
• Positive student cases and DPH quarantines which necessitate pausing in-person classroom instruction.
• The guidance and data coming from DPH and other State agencies that we use to make planning decisions that continue to be refined and updated.
The factors stated above could cause the district to return to virtual learning for classes, schools, or even the entire district. Often, these decisions are made at a moment’s notice; therefore, all employees, parents, and students should be prepared daily to be either in-person or virtual.
Among the things families should consider as they return to in-person school:
• Families should conduct a self-screener checklist
before sending children to school
• Any child not feeling well should remain at home, and all children not feeling well during school will be sent home, especially if they have a fever.
• Students in grades K-12 must wear a face mask on buses and in the classroom throughout the day, except when eating and drinking. Children in Pre-K are recommended to wear a face mask
• Children must bring their own labeled, filled water bottles. Extra water will be provided if needed and milk will be served with breakfast and lunch. Water fountains will not be operational.
• K-8 Students will remain in the same classroom throughout the day.
Important Note to Parents & Caregivers
During the first week of February, we nationally celebrate the work of our School Counselors. School Counselors play an important role in helping students maintain connections to their families, friends/classmates, school, and community.
During COVID-19, a number of our students struggle to maintain these connections and need our help to do so during these unprecedented times.
Because we know that many/most teenagers do not openly share their feelings with adults, it is important that we (parents/caregivers and school) routinely check in with our children to see how they are doing. Starting this practice at a young age may help as children become older.
Please consider putting the following information in your home so you can access it in an emergency.
For Parents and Caregivers
-Mobile Response & Stabilization Services 1-800-969-HELP (4357)
-A free, 24/7 service for hotline support, mobile outreach, and walk-in crisis services
Crisis Text Line: Text DE to 741741
A free, 24/7 text line for people in crisis
If at any time your child is struggling to maintain connections at home, school, or in the community, we encourage you to reach out to your School Counselor for additional support.
Calendar Dates to Remember
• February 12 – Staff Development – Remote Learning
• February 15 – President’s Day (Holiday) Schools/Offices Close
• Marking Period (MP) & Semester Dates:
- Prek: Semester 2: 2/5/21- 6/11/21
- Elementary-Semester 2: 2/5/21- 6/11/21
- Middle School
- MP 3: 2/1/21 - 4/13/21
- MP 4: 4/14/21 - 6/11/21
- High School
- MP 3: 2/1/21 - 4/13/21
- MP 4: 4/14/2 - 6/11/21
Leach, Colwyck & Elementary Schools Update
Valentines Day During Covid
Due to COVID-19 restrictions that prohibit children from sharing materials, students will NOT be able to exchange Valentine's Day cards or treats. Fortunately, Valentine's Day falls on a Saturday this year, but in true Colonial fashion, many teachers will do everything possible to find new and creative ways to make the occasion fun for their students.
Middle School Update
Students in Special Programs:
- Middle school students who are in special programs are still following the same schedules they started on January 11, 2021.
- Students who ARE NOT in Special Programs:
Please follow your updated 3rd MP schedule in Schoology. Please follow communication from your middle school for the most up to date information.
- Virtual students are reminded to use Schoology to access all zoom links for their classes.
Middle School In-Person Updates:
- The Middle School in-person learning option for students who are enrolled starts February 8th.
PICK-UP TIMES: As a reminder, students should be at their assigned bus stop approximately 10 minutes before their scheduled pick-up time. Students must practice social distancing at bus stops, sit on marked seats in buses, and wear face masks at all times.
High School Update
Transportation Update for Hybrid Students at William Penn and Wallace Wallin:
PICK-UP TIMES: As a reminder, students should be at their assigned bus stop, on their correct hybrid day, approximately 10 minutes before their scheduled pick-up time. Students must practice social distancing at bus stops, sit on marked seats in buses, and wear face masks at all times.
DROP-OFF TIMES: During our abbreviated COVID schedule, the last AM class for students will be over at 11:30 am. Students will dismiss from the building by 11:45 am. New Drop-Off time for the 2nd semester - 12:15 pm. Students are expected to be back on zoom by 1:30 pm
- Grades 9 - 10 attend in person on Monday and Tuesday
- Grades 11-12 attend in person on Wednesday and Thursday
- All grades attend remote learning on Friday
High School Winter Sports Update
- All home events, boys basketball, girls basketball, and wrestling events will be streamed online. Links for each game will be available on www.ColonialsSports.com. Student-athletes are allowed to get a ticket for one (1) spectator.
- Girls' regularly scheduled game for 2/3 has been moved to 2/25.
- Please check https://www.colonialssports.com/ for updates on spring sports meetings
Wrestling Photo Credit: Pam Lane
Slight Changes in Mobile Food Delivery
This Week Only
WE have a slight change to the meal delivery schedules due to the inclement weather for this week only:
-If you are regularly scheduled to pick up meals on Wednesday, February 3rd,(RED routes) you will now pick up on Friday, February 5th.
-If you are regularly scheduled to pick up meals on Thursday, February 4th, (BLUE routes) there will be NO change.
Families will be receiving a box of 5 breakfasts, 5 lunches, and milk per student. If you are picking up meals for multiple students, it would be helpful to bring a wagon or extra people to help you.
Delivery meals will resume the normal delivery schedule on Monday, February 8th (RED routes)
Be sure to visit the Colonial website at www.colonialschooldistrict.org/
for more information and to view the new delivery schedule. Remember, meals are no cost to any child 18 years of age or younger. Please wear a mask and practice social distancing when picking up meals.
Get Your Text Message Alerts
Sign up and stay up to date with what’s happening in Colonial! Get text messages about important things happening in the Colonial School District and its schools.
From your computer: https://www.remind.com/join/weupdate