Ordway Elementary Newsletter
November 2, 2020
Dear Ordway Families,
As you may be aware, in-person schooling for elementary students opting for the hybrid model has been paused until January 2021. The reasons for the reopening delay are: In-person learning preparedness (schedules, core instruction goals, etc.), COVID-19 numbers for Kitsap county, and staffing (i.e. the number of substitute employees must substantially increase for in-person learning to be sustainable district-wide).
The most significant information for students and families to know about the hybrid model is that core instruction will be delivered in one half of the day and specialist classes will be provided two times (instead of four times) a week, every other day. There will be remote learning for all students grades K-4 on Fridays in this model. Other important details for you to be aware of related to a hybrid model are:
- AM Time: 7:50-10:35
- PM Time: 12:25-3:10
- AM/PM designations can be found on Family Access. It is unlikely we will be able to make changes to your designation due to class size balance.
- Friday will still be early release at 12:50 pm and scheduled as a remote learning day
- Every building will have four safety stations that involve hand sanitizing and temperature check prior to entering the building.
- Monitors will be supporting students to ensure safety protocols are followed.
- All students will be expected to wear masks.
- Students will bring a backpack, water bottle, and individual supplies from the August class supply list to school (If you need a mask or supplies they will be provided for individual use)
- No class will have more than 12 students to ensure appropriate social distancing
- Staff will clean between AM and PM cohorts and then the entire building will be cleaned nightly
- Parents will need to stay in their vehicle at Pick Up and Drop Off to ensure safety, but also to decrease traffic issues.
- Volunteers will not be allowed for the foreseeable future
An example of a day in the life of a primary hybrid student on campus is as follows with the other part of the day remote at home:
The chart below is an example of what the week will look like for K-4 students when we shift to the hybrid schedule:
This video shows more information about the student arrival procedures. Link
With the hybrid start on the horizon, we have been thinking about the transition back to school for our Kindergarten students who have never attended the Ordway campus or transitioned into school from the bus or drop off zone. In an effort to mediate first day jitters, we will have an orientation for families in January.
Between now and January, the District will continue to monitor the following requirements to reopen campus. If information changes, the District may have to delay opening or, if school starts and information changes, students may return to online learning. It is important for families to know their student(s) schedule because once we officially begin the hybrid schedule we plan to remain on the hybrid schedule.
The decision to reopen is based on a comprehensive three part checklist: 1) COVID 19 Activity Level, 2) Ability to Implement Health & Safety Measures and 3) A School & Heath System Ready to Monitor and Respond. Please visit the District website for updates.
Many of you have reached out to staff and each other to better understand and navigate this unexpected learning journey this fall. There are many more complexities to school this year and that is not easy. Thank you for your continued patience, grace, and cautious optimism as we move toward reopening campuses. I appreciate the openness and genuine support exhibited by our school community.
Materials Pick up Friday November 6, 2020
K, 1st, 3rd & 2/3 Online
- Your teacher(s) will let you know if you have items to pick up.
- Items can be found in the South Courtyard 7:30 am -6 pm.
- This is Self -Serve: park in bus lane or school parking lot. Wear a mask and social distance.
- There will be carts/boxes for you to place library returns or anything for the student’s teacher. All materials including student work, cards, or letters, library books must come in a bag and will sit for 4 days during a quarantine period.
- Next distribution is on November 13th for 2nd & 4th Grade.
Share Halloween and Fall Photos
Now through November 6th
If you'd like to participate, share a photo of your families, child(ren)—even pets—in costume or enjoying the season for a virtual Parade of Costumes and Fall Fun which we will feature on our PTO website. Please email photos to PTO Secretary Tanith de Boer before Nov. 6th:
Tell your friends, family and neighbors!
BISD is hiring substitues
Part of BISD's reopening plan includes growing our pool of awesome substitute staff. Please consider helping out during this most challenging time — you will also be making a difference in the lives of children.
Interested in joining our team of substitutes? Learn about the application process and what being a substitute entails at our Substitute Informational Webinar.
WHEN: Thursday, Nov. 19 from 4-5 p.m.
WHERE: Online via Zoom
WHAT: Please join BISD's Human Resources team and district personnel for a webinar where we will share the ins and outs of being a substitute. There are two types of substitute positions: Substitute Teachers & Substitute Support Staff. Both positions offer a flexible schedule.
Before winter weather comes our way, we are testing our Emergency Notification System to make sure we can contact you if the need arises.
On Wednesday, Nov. 4, we will test our Emergency Notification System. Among other things, this system is used to alert you to weather-related or time-sensitive delays and closures. We will test all aspects of the system — phone, email and text (you must first opt-in to receive texts, see below for instructions.) STAFF & GUARDIANS: If you do NOT receive the test messages on Wednesday, Nov. 4, please contact Erin Bischoff at firstname.lastname@example.org.
STAFF, PARENTS & GUARDIANS: Please login to Skyward and verify that your contact information is current by clicking on the Account link in the top right corner. If you need to make changes, please update the information and click "save".
ENROLLING IN TEXT ALERTS*:
If you haven't enrolled to receive texts via our notification system, using your cell phone, please text Y to the code 67587. (Or, if you've changed your mind and no longer wish to receive texts, text N to the code 67587). You must enroll in the system to receive texts from BISD.
BISD Strong Awards
Now, more than ever, it's important to celebrate the joy and kindness across our district.
BISD is filled with amazing students and staff and now is your opportunity to recognize the many individuals who make our district strong — with their strong minds, their strong hearts and their strong sense of community.
The sky is the limit on how many people you can nominate. We just ask that the individual be a member of the BISD community and that you do not nominate your family members.
3 - ELECTION DAY
6 - PTO MEETING 9 AM
6 - MATERIALS PICKUP: K,1,3, 2/3 ONLINE
11- NO SCHOOL - VETERANS DAY
13-MATERIALS PICKUP 2ND & 4TH
20 - MATERIALS PICKUP: K,1,3, 2/3 ONLINE
26-27 THANKSGIVING /NO SCHOOL
21 - WINTER BREAK/NO SCHOOL