Welcome back to school!
As we prepare to start another school year of distance learning, the ELLMA office sends a warm welcome to our teachers and community members in these tumultuous times. Instead of cleaning our classrooms, we are checking our technology. Instead of arranging desks, we are organizing our Zoom teaching spaces. These are indeed unusual teaching times!
We know that our immigrant and multilingual families continue to be acutely affected during this crisis, so the efforts you are putting into starting the year strong for your ELLs are appreciated. Thank you! The ELLMA office is here to support you in these efforts to welcome your students back and accelerate their language development:
- Nicole Knight, executive director, ELLMA Office
- Tom Felix, director, Newcomer / ELL Programs
- Holly Darling, English language specialist, 6-12 Newcomer
- Amy Stauffer, English language specialist, Middle School
- Maria Inglés, Spanish language specialist, Elementary Network 2
- Rita Pope, English language specialist, Elementary Network 3
- Abel Guzmán, Spanish language specialist, Elementary Network 4
- James Kindle, English language specialist, Elementary Network 4
- Nate Dunstan, program manager, Refugee & Asylee Program
- Qoc'avib Revolorio, specialist, Refugee & Asylee Program
- Stephanie Noriega, program manager, Newcomer Wellness Initiative
In this issue, you will find information about ELLMA-hosted webinars, resources and tips for starting strong with language learners, and updates on ELL Ambassador recruitment.