Dear Saklan Community,
As we prepare to welcome your children to campus for the start of the 2022-2023 school year, we will be employing many of the same COVID mitigation strategies that we used last year. Please read below for the COVID-19 protocols that Saklan will use to start the year.
All Saklan students must be tested for COVID-19 before returning to school.
- Please complete the testing so that results will be available by 8:00 a.m. on Wednesday, August 24th. If you need a rapid test, we will have them available at the Back to School BBQ.
- Please report your child’s test results in the Health Attestation Form that will be emailed to you on Tuesday, August 23rd.
Saklan will no longer conduct weekly COVID-19 pool testing, but instead will offer rapid testing for any students or faculty experiencing symptoms, and/or who have had a known exposure to COVID.
Per CDPH guidance, masking is strongly recommended for all indoor settings. Please note that the following situations will require indoor masking:
- After a known exposure in the community or at school
- After testing positive for COVID-19
- When required to by an outside organization to participate in a specific event
So that students will be prepared should one of these situations arise, students are asked to bring two well-fitting masks in a labeled Ziploc bag to store at school.
The California Department of Public Health has updated their guidance to allow students to continue to attend school after a COVID-19 exposure. Students can continue in-person learning after exposure, if they:
- Are asymptomatic;
- Continue to appropriately mask indoors, as required;
- Continue to receive a negative test result between days 3 - 5 after exposure.
If your child has had a known exposure to COVID-19, please let the office know.
Additional Measures to Prevent COVID
- We continue to use an upgraded ventilation system with MERV 13 filters (same as used in hospitals), and HEPA air purifiers with UV lights in each classroom.
- We will continue to use the 3,000 sq. ft. of outdoor learning space that we have.
- We keep classroom doors and windows open as often as possible.
By now you are all familiar with the symptoms of COVID-19. We ask that you continue to be vigilant and not send your child to school if they are experiencing any symptoms associated with COVID. We will ask parents to complete a weekly health attestation that is emailed to you, stating that you will not send your child to school if they have COVID-19 symptoms, until:
- At least 24 hours have passed since resolution of a fever without the use of fever-reducing medications; and
- Other symptoms have improved; and
- They have a negative COVID-19 test, OR a healthcare provider has provided documentation that the symptoms are typical of their underlying chronic condition (e.g., allergies or asthma) OR a healthcare provider has confirmed an alternative named diagnosis (e.g., Streptococcal pharyngitis, Coxsackie virus).
Notification of a COVID Exposure
If your child is exposed to COVID-19 while at school, we will promptly notify you by email. The email will detail the known exposure date and conditions that are necessary for your child to continue to attend school: masking, testing, etc., but will keep confidential the identity of the person who tested positive.
If your child is exposed to COVID outside of school or tests positive for COVID, please let the office know as soon as possible.
Returning to School After COVID
Students and staff can return to school on or after day 5 if their symptoms are improving AND a negative test is completed. If symptoms subside but tests continue to return a positive result, students and staff can return after day 10.
Saklan will continue to assess conditions on an on-going basis and update our COVID-19 protocols and mitigation strategies, as needed.
Thank you for all your support and commitment to keeping our community healthy. We look forward to seeing your children on campus very soon.