ARE Update
In this issue: Updates regarding an upcoming language impact study, Prometric’s mask policy, candidate misconduct, and NCARB's progress addressing technical issues.
Upcoming ARE Language Survey
NCARB is continuing to study the impact that English as a second language and other related factors may have on Architect Registration Examination® (ARE®) performance. In the next week, all previous ARE 5.0 test takers will receive a short, two-question survey that will help NCARB understand the impact of language on exam performance. Your participation is a crucial part in assisting our efforts to improve the overall candidate experience. Thank you in advance for your participation!
Prometric Mask Policy
Prometric continues to require all individuals at their testing centers to wear an approved face covering for the duration of their time at the location, including test takers and test center staff. This provision will remain in force, even in jurisdictions that have recently adopted less rigorous COVID-19 policies. Individuals not in compliance with this policy will not be allowed to sit for their scheduled appointment, will be marked as a no-show for their appointment, and will not receive a refund.

Prometric’s COVID-19 policies shall remain in effect until further notice. To learn more about Prometric’s requirements, check out their COVID-19 updates tab on Prometric.com.
Candidate Misconduct in Testing Centers
In a continued effort to reduce the spread of COVID-19, Prometric has been providing candidates testing at a test center a sanitary pen at check-in for signing in and out of the appointment. Candidates are allowed to keep the pen with them to avoid cross-contamination. The pen is to be used to sign the roster sheet only.

In the last month, a few candidates have used the pen to take notes on their skin, provided tissues, or other articles during their exam administration. Capturing notes outside of the exam delivery software about an exam item is strictly forbidden as outlined in the Exam Candidate Conduct policy. Candidates who have violated the policy have had their jurisdictional licensing board notified, their testing progress placed on hold, and are now being investigated for candidate misconduct following the procedures of NCARB’s Professional Conduct Committee.

Inappropriate use of the pen or any other allowed items while testing may result in immediate exam termination, exam invalidation, and loss of future testing privileges.

Tech Issues Update
NCARB and our test delivery partners, Prometric and Zoomorphix, continue to address technical issues for both in-person and online exams. The overall proportion of candidates reporting tech issues is now 11% overall, slightly up from early May, while technical issues at test centers continue to decline.

We’re continuing quality assurance reviews of both Zoomorphix and Prometric updates that should improve the overall performance of the ARE and will be deployed later this summer. Also, the majority of exam administrations (approximately 74%) continue to be delivered at Prometric centers, while the remaining 26% are taken online.
Illustration of three cogs representing overall, online and onsite reporting of technical issues.
All online test takers should complete a free test run appointment that allows you to verify your online proctoring setup, including your testing environment, meets the necessary Prometric requirements. A test run can be scheduled at no cost through your NCARB Record. Online candidates should follow all recommended guidance, including disabling all antivirus and internet security applications prior to launching their ARE appointment. Learn more about the Do’s and Don’ts for Taking ARE 5.0 Online.

If you experience a technical issue, immediately notify your proctor and then contact NCARB within 15 days. Remember, if you’re unable to complete the exam due to a major technical issue, we will work with you to reschedule the division at no cost.

1401 H Street NW Suite 500
Washington, DC, 20005
Twitter Facebook Instagram LinkedIn YouTube
powered by emma