ISC Cloud First Update
In this update, we focus on two recent awards, the planned Cloud First Program Retrospective Lunchtime Learning, recent progress, new web content, and upcoming cloud-related events.
Innovation Awards for Cloud First
ISC’s Cloud First team recently won two prestigious awards for its innovative use of cloud technologies:
- E&I Cooperative Services Cloud Leadership Award – Winner of Innovation Award for commitment to cloud and working with at least one cloud service not widely adopted by the market. Presented at the EDUCAUSE conference, the E&I Cloud Leadership Awards honor the outstanding achievements of higher education institutions which, through their innovative and effective use of cloud solutions, have benefitted students, teachers, administrators, and staff.
- Talend Data Masters Award (see video) – Grand prize winner in the category of Innovation for use of the Talend ETL tool to make premier-quality higher education available and accessible to all students regardless of financial need by re-creating the Online Giving application in the cloud.
December Lunchtime Learning
Cloud First Program Retrospective & Look Ahead: Join the ISC Cloud First team for a review of activities and accomplishments in the year and a half since the program launched. Topics will include cloud lift and shift and infrastructure activities, integration research and tools selected, application development tools and technologies, applications launched, lessons learned, and much more. The team will also discuss what’s on the horizon for cloud in ISC.
The team would like to encourage audience participation and is accepting questions in advance. If you have a question you would like the team to address at the event, please send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
team attended the Talend Connect conference in Paris to receive the 2017 Talend Data Masters Award in Innovation for their use of the Talend ETL tool. The team is working with ISC management on definition of integration principles while continuing to meet with the NGSS and Human Capital Management teams to assess their integration needs.
The Architecture, Infrastructure, & Migration team continues discussions with VMware on participation in the East Coast pilot of the new VMware on AWS service and started contract negotiations. The team has also prioritized requirements for the proof of concept work that will be done with VMware and AWS and determined the scope
New Web Content
We are excited to unveil the following new content:
- Cloud First Application Development – Presentation from the Ivy Plus Human Resources Information Systems conference on ISC’s application development process before and after cloud technology, how cloud technology is being used, and lessons learned.
Upcoming Cloud-Related Events
Following are upcoming Special Interest Group (SIG) meetings that will feature cloud-related presentations:
- Developer SIG (12/18) – AWS technical account manager Mike Haggerty will present on PostgreSQL availability for AWS Aurora at the next Developer SIG meeting in Sansom West, Room 306 (Bits & Pieces) from 2:00-3:30pm. For more information about Dev-SIG, including links to subscribe to the listserv, join the Slack channel, or contact the leads, see the Dev-SIG page on the website.
- Cloud-SIG (12/20) – Topic TBD, Sansom West, Room 306 (Bits & Pieces) from 1:30-3:00pm. For more information about Cloud-SIG, including links to subscribe to the listserv, join the Slack channel, or contact the leads, see the Cloud-SIG page on the website.
Visit the Cloud First Website
For the latest developments on the Cloud First program, including links to team pages, presentations, and updates, please visit the Cloud First website.
We look forward to sharing more progress with you soon!
The ISC Cloud First Team