Addressing Concerns: Fraternity and Sorority Recruitment & Health and Safety of Our Students
Encouraged behavior and interactions during recruitment:
As Dr. Jayne Brownell, Vice President of Student Life communicated today, January 28, 2020, on Monday morning, one student at Miami University presented at Student Health Services with mild flu-like symptoms, and with their recent travel, are being tested for precautionary reasons along with one fellow student who traveled with them, but did not exhibit any symptoms, for possible infection with the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV).
The University is being diligent in monitoring and supporting these students and both are currently being isolated while being monitored. We recognize that there have been questions regarding our fraternity and sorority recruitment process and other involvement opportunities occurring this week and next week.
At this time all events, just like all classes, are moving forward as scheduled. This means that fraternity Open House Rounds which began on Sunday, January 26, 2020 will continue as planned. This also means that sorority recruitment will continue starting this Thursday, January 30, 2020.
We will reiterate health and safety precautions that we review each year with our members participating in this process and these precautions are recommended for both the flu and Coronavirus
- Wash hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds:
- Especially before during and after you prepare food
- Before you eat and after you use the bathroom
- After handling cash or other items passed between persons
- More frequently when you or someone in your house is sick
- Before/after smoking/vaping
Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available
Clean doorknobs/light switches and areas commonly touched with disinfectant wipes
Avoid contact with sick people
In addition to the above precautions we also want to make note of the following:
- If Chapter members feel sick or are uncomfortable participating in recruitment activities, they should be allowed to step away.
- If PNMs are feeling sick or uncomfortable participating in recruitment, they should contact our office.
- If PNMs or members want to utilize face masks they absolutely can and should if it makes them feel more comfortable.
- We are asking that no physical touch occurs including handshakes.
Panhellenic will be providing hand sanitizer to all members and all potential new members.
Each IFC Fraternity has hand sanitizer available for members and visitors to use.
Please make use of these when you enter and exit the facilities as well as the above precautions as recommended.