This week, the Arizona Legislature passed the FY2021 budget with bipartisan support. The House and Senate have adjourned until April 13th unless otherwise determined by the Senate President and House Speaker. This allows both chambers to potentially return to finish up additional work.
Key provisions of the FY2021 budget impacting Arizona's lodging and tourism industry include:
Arizona Office of Tourism
- Tourism Fund Deposit: $7.114 million
- Arizona Promotion: $1 million
- Wine Promotion: $100,000
COVID-19 Crisis Contingency & Safety Net Fund administered by the Governor
- Appropriates $50,000,000 in FY2020 from General Fund
- Allows Fund monies to be spent only following a state of emergency declaration by the Governor for the following during the state of emergency:
- Housing assistance, including payments to prevent eviction or foreclosure
- Monies for entities to provide services for homeless persons including shelter, food, clothing and transportation
- Economic assistance to small businesses with fewer than 50 employees, nonprofit organizations and health care providers
- Monies for food bank operations
Additionally, H.B. 2911 was transmitted to the Governor last week which authorizes the Department of Economic Security to implement alternative benefit eligibility and employer contribution requirements for the federal-state unemployment insurance program in support of individuals and employers affected by the coronavirus.