Ependymoma Awareness Day
Now in its 11th year, this campaign is an international effort from the CERN Foundation and the National Brain Tumor Society in partnership with medical professionals, patients, care partners, and other advocacy groups around the world. Together, we have designated May 10, 2022, as Ependymoma Awareness Day during Brain Tumor Awareness Month.
Ependymoma Awareness Day (EAD) was established in 2012 by the CERN Foundation as part of a global effort to shine a light on this poorly understood disease. Ependymoma Awareness Day aims to increase public recognition of this rare tumor and the urgent need for more clinical studies to improve diagnostic methods, develop better-targeted treatments and improve outcomes for those living with this disease. In recognition of Ependymoma Awareness Day, we release butterflies to honor loved ones with ependymoma, recognize care partners and medical workers, and support ependymoma research efforts. The delicate and beautiful butterfly represents the spirit of the ependymoma community as a symbol of hope through change.
The CERN Foundation will commemorate Ependymoma Awareness Day with a live streamed virtual event that will take place on May 10, 2022 at 1PM EDT on the CERN website
and Facebook Live
. The program will feature awareness content, stories from the ependymoma community, and conclude with a butterfly release.
Show Your Support for Gray May!
On a local level, we urge you to participate in an ependymoma awareness activity and help create greater support and understanding of the disease.
You can support, empower, and amplify the voice of the brain tumor community in the following ways:
- Watch the Ependymoma Awareness Day virtual event on May 10 at 1PM EDT by joining the Facebook event or watching on the 2022 Ependymoma Awareness Day webpage.
- Create your own personal fundraising page for your Ependymoma Awareness Day event!
- Support the Ependymoma Fund by purchasing a butterfly! For every donation over $25, a butterfly will be released at the Head to the Hill Welcome Reception and CERN Butterfly Release Ceremony on May 1. The video will be shared on May 10 during the EAD Virtual Event at 1 PM EDT!
- Get creative with the CERN butterfly coloring page, chalk art, and Hands for Hope activities. Tag us on your social media with the hashtags #CERNButterfly #epENDymoma #hands4hope #GrayMay #TheGrayscale #GoGrayinMay #BTAM.
- Share information on ependymoma with another person who has never heard of it! Document your awareness efforts on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or blog and use the hashtags #CERNButterfly #epENDymoma #hands4hope #GrayMay #TheGrayscale #GoGrayinMay #BTAM.
- Contact your local officials and ask your local government or ministry of health to recognize May 10, 2021 as Ependymoma Awareness Day.
For more ideas, read how others
around the world have commemorated previous Ependymoma Awareness Day events.