Week of February 16, 2015
A Whole LOTTA LOVE for St M!
Humbled. Honored. Thrilled. Thankful.
It is hard to choose the right words to convey how appreciative we are of all of the LOVE that you shared with us this week. We asked you to tell us what you love MOST about St M and our cup overflowed with your glowing words and enthusiam for our School. To share a few:
- "Lots of places deliver first-rate academic learning. What we LOVE most about St M is the 'culture of kindness' that defines our School ... We love our special little gem of a School for molding not only our children's minds, but also their hearts."
- "If we had to pick the one thing we love most about St. Michael's, it would be how much our daughter has thrived since she's been there. Our daughter, who was formerly shy and reserved, has become a gregarious, warm, kind and humorous St M dragon. It's wonderful to see St M embrace kids as kids with creative learning, acts of citizenship and the importance of fun. We love you, St. Michael's!"
- "I LOVE that St. Michael's is a happy place full of books, art, music and exercise. My kids are encouraged to think, create, problem solve and grow. Their work is their own and their mistakes are their own. They have many opportunities to mature as scholars, athletes, artists and innovators. They are flourishing in a place where they are encouraged to find their own voices and use their words politely as members of a respectful community. They are learning to enjoy personal achievements, while still working and playing nicely with others. Their teachers care for them as people and that's what we love most about St. Michael's - the people!"
Congrats too to the following folks who won the Godiva gift bag drawing for taking the time to fill out our survey: Marnie Crane, Hilary Dixon and Jenny Courain.
Thank you for sharing the love! (You can read more submissions on our Facebook page.) We truly LOVE all of our St M families!
Join Us for the Next "Meetings With Michael" Conversations
Mr. Turner invites families to join him for an exchange of ideas on the topic of "Service." If you’re planning to attend, please consider the following questions: Service: What is it?, How do we do it?, Why do we do it?
The meeting dates are as follows: (feel free to attend either one)
- Tuesday, February 24 at 1:45 p.m. at the Bon Air Campus
- Wednesday, February 25 at 8:15 a.m., on the Singleton Campus (Great Hall).
Thank you to the SMPA for hosting this program. Hope you can join us!
Reinrollment Contracts are due by THIS FRIDAY, February 20 in order to secure your child's spot for next year and to receive the $100 discount.
It is time again to sign up for hot lunch. Click here
for the Lower School form. Click here
for the Middle School form. If you are owed a credit for a snow day, you will need to attach the snow credit email that was sent to you. Please contact Susan Hayes
with any questions. Forms are due in by this Wednesday, 2/18.
Check Mate! Championship Chess, our popular after-school chess program for Lower School students (K-5), is now registering for the spring session. The sessions are on Wednesdays from 2:40-3:40 p.m, beginning on March 18 and ending on May 20. Click here for more information and to register.
Join us for After School Fun and Games:
We are excited to offer a new after school opportunity for Grades 3-5 called "Fun and Games." A different game will be played each week, including kickball, pickle ball, Frisbee golf and more! These will be held on Tuesday afternoons from 3-4:00 p.m., beginning March 17 and ending April 14. Click here to sign-up!
Sign-ups due in please by March 6
Calling all Runners! Spring Track:
Middle School track will be offered for both boys and girls this spring. Practices begin on Monday, 2/23 and practice days are on Monday, Tuesday and Friday. Signup forms are due by February 19th
to Mr. Kern.Here is the form
Get Ready for LAX Season!
- The Girls' Middle School Lacrosse team will start practicing on Monday, 2/23 from 3-4:30 p.m. Prior to spring break, practices will only be on Mondays and Wednesdays from 3-4:30 p.m. Please dress appropriately as we will be outside if at all possible. Don't forget your water bottles. New players welcome! Questions or concerns, please contact Coach Martin.
- The Boys' Middle School Lacrosse team will start practicing on Tuesday, 2/24 from 5:30-7 p.m. Practices are on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Please dress appropriately as we will be outside if at all possible and bring water bottles. Questions or concerns, please contact Coach Kern.
Babysitting Certification Class for MS Students
We are pleased to offer a babysitting certification class to our Middle School students after school on Thursday, February 26th and Thursday, March 5th. It is a 4-hour class that will be split into two days, running from 3-5:00 p.m. Students need to attend both classes for certification. The class will cover topics such as First Aid, babysitting basics, questions to ask parents and common expectations. There is a cost of $40 for this class. Checks should be made out to “On-Site Safety Training”. Checks will be collected the first day of class.
For questions or to sign up for the class, please email Katherine Martin at email@example.com.
The class must have a minimum of 12 students to be offered. A maximum of 25 students may attend.
“Ashes to Go” In observance of Ash Wednesday on February 18, Rev. Jeunee will be offering ashes on the Bon Air Campus during morning drop-off and on the Singleton Campus during afternoon pick-up.
Let's Be Friends!
Get connected to keep abreast of St M news, events, calendar changes and information.
Current and past issues of "This Week at St. Michael's" are now archived on our website under "News and Events," as well as under "Community."
Reminder: No Classes on Monday, 2/16 as we celebrate President's Day.
- Third Grade Living History, Wednesday and Thursday, 2/18-19, TIME a.m.
- Championship Chess, Wednesday, 2/18, 2:40 to 3:40 p.m.
- Second Grade Egypt Day, Thursday, 2/19, 8:30 a.m., Dundas-Hatcher.
- Fifth Grade Science Fair, Friday, 2/20, 8:30 a.m.-12 p.m.
- Reinrollment contracts are due by Friday, 2/20. Thank you!
- Spring Play Rehearsal (speaking parts only), Wednesday, 2/18, 3-4 p.m.
- Reinrollment contracts are due by Friday, 2/20. Thank you!
LS and MS Sports:
- Boys and Girls Basketball: Due to the fluid schedule this week for the basketball playoffs, game information will be communicated directly to the teams by their coaches. Good luck this week! GO DRAGONS!