June 3, 2018: Last Week of School!
Godspeed to the Class of 2018!
To all of our graduating Dragons, we will never forget your energy, your smiles and all of your contributions to St. Michael's. We hope you will always carry the knowledge, values and friendships you acquired at our School in your minds and hearts. As you head out to new high schools and new adventures, our best wishes, love and support go with you!
Congratulations to all of our eighth graders!
Remember: Once a Dragon, ALWAYS a Dragon!
The dress code for all K-7 Closing Ceremonies is "Dress Up Day" apparel. Please wear dress shirts, ties, long pants; dresses or dress blouses with dress skirts/dress pants. Parents are invited to attend closing ceremonies.
Please note the important closing schedules, early dismissals and report card pickup info by grade level in this newsletter under "This Week's Schedule."
Extended Day: End of Year
- June 4 and 5: Lower School Extended Day is open noon-6 p.m. There is Lower School Morning Gym on Monday and Tuesday.
- June 6: Lower School Extended Day is open following K-2 closing until 3 p.m. THERE IS NO LOWER SCHOOL MORNING GYM ON WEDNESDAY.
- June 7 and 8: Extended Day is CLOSED.
NOTE: There is NO MIDDLE SCHOOL Afternoon Extended Day the week of June 4.
Annual Fund: 60 Gifts in 60 Hours
Thank you to those who supported the 60 gifts in 60 hours campaign. Through your support, parent participation increased to 62%. Congratulations to Mrs. Slate's Fifth Grade Class for being the first to reach 100% parent participation!
Middle School Spanish Update
We are excited to announce a pilot program for students in grades 6-8. Instead of meeting two, three, or four days per week as they have done in years past, students will now have Spanish every day. Not only will this allow students to have increased foreign language exposure and practice, it will also provide time for projects and other hands-on learning experiences. The addition of a part-time Spanish teacher, Elisa Bennett, for grades 2-5 has created this opportunity for us to expand our Middle School Spanish program offering.
Welcome New Faculty Members!
St. Michael's is pleased to welcome the following new faculty members:
Elisa Bennett, Spanish Teacher (Grades 2-5) and Instructional Technology
Elisa is currently a middle school Spanish teacher at The Orchard House School in Richmond. For the past couple of years, she has also taught Spanish online to talented youth through Johns Hopkins University. Elisa spent a year teaching English at Nuestra Sra. Schoenstatt in Pozuelo, Spain, and prior to her time abroad, taught Spanish to grades K- 7 at St. Catherine's. She also worked as a community engagement Spanish teacher through VCU. Elisa began her teaching career as an elementary Spanish teacher in Richmond Public Schools. She has a wealth of experience integrating technology into her instruction and helping others do the same. Elisa earned her undergraduate degree in Spanish and Education from the University of Richmond and her masters in teaching Spanish and culture from Universidad de Granada in Spain. In addition to teaching Spanish grades 2-5, Elisa will be working with Katie Best and Dave Grossman to help teachers, primarily Lower School teachers, integrate technology into their instruction.
Sarah McFarlane, Science Teacher (Grades 4,5,6)
Sarah comes to us from the Millwood School where she taught middle school science, math and algebra I, as well as high school biology, math and statistics electives. She has extensive experience in STEM education, differentiated instruction, and project-based learning. Prior to Millwood, Sarah taught math and science at Fairfield Middle School. Sarah is a graduate of St. Catherine's, where she taught in the school’s Brilliant Summer program for several years. She holds an undergraduate degree in animal science from Colorado State University, an associates applied science degree in veterinary technology from Bel-Rea Institute of Animal Technology, and a masters in elementary education from the University of Phoenix. Sarah lives in Mechanicsville with her two daughters, Maddie and Lucy.
Yarden Murray, First Grade Teacher
Yarden Murray (first name pronounced: yar-DEN) will join our faculty as a first grade homeroom teacher. She currently teaches 4th grade at St. Anne's-Belfield School in Charlottesville, where she previously served as a long-term substitute in kindergarten. Yarden began her career as a preschool teacher at Congregation Beth Israel, also in her hometown of Charlottesville. A perfect fit for our program, she is trained and has experience in Responsive Classroom, Singapore Math, and Lucy Calkins's Writer's Workshop approach. She holds a BA in Psychology from George Mason University and a Masters in Elementary Education from the University of Virginia. Yarden and her husband, James, recently moved to Richmond and are excited to join our community.
THANK YOU, VOLUNTEERS!
St. Michael's is a vibrant School because of strong volunteer support. Thank you to ALL of our volunteers for being so generous of your time, talents and treasure this school year! We are truly grateful!
For children/families who have medication in the front offices or classroom, please stop by on Monday to pick up these medications.
Transition to Middle School Programs
Rising sixth grade parents, please join us on Monday, June 4 at 8:30 a.m. in the Singleton Campus Allen Library to learn more about Middle School and what to expect as your child transitions to a new campus.
Please RSVP to Laurel Nelson.
Summer is Right Around the Corner. Sign Up for St M Camps!
Explore your creative side. Take to the stage. Embrace the outdoors. Learn coding and video game making. Get active with sports. Be an adventurous chef.
We have an spectacular summer planned at St. Michael's with a variety of fun camps for ages 4-ninth grade!
Please contact Allyson Steele, Director of Summer Programs, with any questions.
Around the Halls...
Check out our Media Gallery
for photos of events and learning that took place this week at St M!
Let's Be Friends!
Get connected to keep abreast of St M news, events, calendar changes and information.
Current and past issues of "This Week at St. Michael's" are now archived on our website under "News and Events
," as well as under "Community
This Week's Schedule:
Can you believe it is the last week of school?
Please note the important schedule, early dismissals and report card pickup info below. (K-7 report cards will not be mailed.)
SUMMER ASSIGNMENTS will be sent out late next week in the June 8 newsletter.
- LS dismisses early at NOON, Monday and Tuesday, June 4 & 5
- K-2 Closing Exercises, Wednesday, 6/6, 9:30 a.m. in St. Michael's Church (Church doors open at 9:15 a.m.) Children should be in their classrooms at 9 a.m. Carpool will be open at 8:50 a.m. THERE IS NO MORNING GYM ON WEDNESDAY. Immediately following the ceremony, parents and students must go to Home Rooms to pick up report cards and then are dismissed.
- Grades 3-5 Closing Exercises, Wednesday, 6/7, 10:30 a.m. in the Church. (Church doors open at 10:15 a.m.) Children should be in their classrooms at 10 a.m. Immediately following the ceremony, parents and students must go to Home Rooms to pick up report cards and then are dismissed.
- Eighth Grade Trip to Busch Gardens, Monday, 6/4. Meet at Middle School at 8:15 a.m.
- Baccalaureate, Wednesday, 6/6, 5 p.m., St. Michael's Church, Dress-Up Day Attire
- Graduation Dinner, Wednesday, 6/6, 6:30 p.m., Salisbury CC.
- Eighth Grade Graduation, Thursday, 6/7, 9 a.m., Singleton gym. Students MUST arrive at 8 a.m and report to the Great Hall for class photos. See guide below for requested attire.
- Click HERE for the 8th Grade Graduation Information Guide.
- 8th Grade reports cards will be mailed.
Sixth and Seventh Grades:
- Grades 6 & 7 dismiss early at 11:45 a.m. on Monday and Tuesday, June 4 & 5
- 6th and 7th grade Closing Exercises, Wednesday, 6/6 at 8:30 a.m. in St. Michael's Church. Students should arrive at 8:10 a.m. Church doors open at 8:15 a.m. Immediately following the ceremony, parents and students must go to Dundas Hatcher Hall to pick up report cards and then are dismissed.
Dates to Remember
Please check our online School Calendar
for key dates for the upcoming 2018-2019 school year.
Never miss an update!
Subscribe to our School calendars
and receive automatic updates! (Families should download the Academic Calendar as well as a Lower School or Middle School calendar.)
Middle School Community Service Hours Due by Tuesday, June 4
Please submit any outstanding service hours for this school year by the end of the day, June 4. Any service hours completed after this date will count towards next year's hours! Click HERE for the form.
REGISTER NOW for the Summer Mission Trip - IMPACT Richmond (www.impactrichmond.org)
Open to all rising 7th grade students and above
* What: A
local mission to repair homes in the Richmond area. For more details, please visit the site listed above for a breakdown of a typical day.
Sunday, July 15 - Saturday, July 21
$325 / person ($275 for each additional child in your family)
*Registration NOW OPEN: https://www.impactrichmond.org/register-now