In 2012, almost 17 million Americans age 16 and older were victims of identity (ID) theft. The top items misused? Bank and credit card accounts. Of these victims, 66 percent lost money.
Stay safe from ID theft with a few simple steps:
- Limit mail. Set up online billing and banking alerts to cut down on paper mail and avoid mailbox theft.
- Shred. Destroy old bills, bank statements or direct mail that has your name, address and other sensitive information printed on it.
- Lock up. Set up strong passwords on your phone, tablet and/or computer to lock out unwanted users.
- Be careful in hotspots. Limit use to web browsing instead of mobile banking or other services that require personal log in data.
- Check. Review your bank, credit and other accounts often to check for any unusual activity.