Life on Campus
For now, while we are still learning in an all remote-setting, registered and cleared day students in cohort one are welcome to join us during the week from 3:00 PM-9:45 PM. We will announce weekly timing and plans on Sunday.
Afternoon Activities will begin at 3:30 p.m.:
Afternoon activities will begin at 3:30 p.m. Please note that some athletics will begin between 4:15-4:45 (martial arts, dance, girls’ basketball, swim training). For students involved in crew, please be in touch with your coaches about where you need to be and when! Arrive dressed for athletics, as most students will not have access to locker rooms or showers. (Exceptions are dancers, swimmers and water polo players, and hockey players will be able to dress in rink.) After your required afternoon programming, you may head home if you would like.
Following safety protocols put in place both by PA and our community partners, the Office of Community Engagement will run a limited number of programs in the afternoons and evenings, all via Zoom. We will email students in a couple of weeks about signups and post information on PANet. Students should be on the lookout for information about discussions, forums, and learning opportunities that CE will co-sponsor with CAMD, Brace, and the Addison Gallery. Students can find information about these events on PANet, Facebook (PA Office of Community Engagement), and Instagram (@pa.community.engagement).
Music Ensembles (choral, winds/brass and strings) will all occur during the 6:15-7:45 PM designated Music block on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday evenings. Chamber music ensembles will be scheduled by group. Ensemble directors and chamber coaches will be in touch by September 28 to clarify weekly schedules.
Graves Hall will be also be open for individual music practice, recording for application portfolios, etc. Students will sign up for a time in advance so be on the look-out for practice room sign-ups! We do not expect that lockers in Graves will be open for use (exceptions may be made for students who play large instruments), so we ask students to come to campus with their instruments and music. Please reach out to the Music Department with any questions!
Oliver Wendell Holmes Library (OWHL)
As so many of you know, the OWHL is the heart and soul of this campus. During the next few weeks, it will be open only to day students. Mr. Barker and his team have created color-coded study carrels and systems so that you can share this space safely and productively. It will be ESSENTIAL that you respect the rules and expectations set up for the OWHL for this to work.
Please fill out the survey Mr. Barker sent Monday 9/21 to request a carrel. The survey closes at noon Friday 9/25. Once carrel is assigned:
- You may only work in your assigned and designated location.
- You may not bring food into the OWHL. No eating!
- Bring a water bottle to keep you hydrated.
- Clean and clear off your study space when you are finished working so that another student may be assigned this spot.
Day students are welcome to enjoy dinner on campus. Paresky has been making delicious meals and delivering them to the dormitories during Quarantine. Next week, we will all adjust to a few new practices in Paresky.
- Paresky Commons is pickup only; there is no seating in the building.
- Day students will join their boarding student classmates and will pick up food from a dedicated dining hall:
Juniors – Lower Left
Seniors – Lower Right
- Students will enter and exit Paresky Commons through designated marked doors.
- Students should sanitize their hands on their way in, follow the signage to the appropriate dining hall and exits, and practice distancing while in line for food.
- Paresky Commons will have a significant amount of signage and staff will be deployed to help students become familiar with the new traffic flows.
- We are in the final stages of implementing a reusable container program, and we will need your full cooperation to make it work so that we can reduce waste dramatically.
- There will be collection points in tents for the reusable containers with containers being picked up multiple times during the day by a dedicated Paresky team member.
- Eat in the tents on the Gelb lawn, on the Greener Quad, or in your chairs on the Great Lawn.