We LOVE our Teachers!
The Best Teachers (by Joanna Fichs)
Teachers open up young minds, showing them the wonders of the intellect
and the miracle of being able to think for themselves.
A teacher exercises the mental muscles of students,
stretching and strengthening, so they can make challenging decisions,
find their way in the world, and become independent.
The best teachers care enough to gently push and prod students
to do their best and fulfill their potential. You are one of those. Thank you.
This week, join us as we show our appreciation and gratitude for all of the wonderful teachers at St. Michael's. Thank you, teachers, for all you do to promote a lifelong love of learning and discovery in our St M children!
GET in the GAME!
Make your winning shot for St M! Two teams are going head-to-head in our Giving Tournament: Blue vs. White!
In this exciting Annual Fund competition, which team will emerge the winner?
The final buzzer is Monday, April 4 at 6 p.m!
to see updated team standings on our St M Facebook
page. Go Blue! Go White!
Support your Team by making a gift HERE to the Annual Fund!
Interested in Playing a Role in the SMPA Next Year?
Be a partner in the education of your child next year! Please click HERE
to indicate your interest in being an executive officer, committee chair or committee member.
Know anyone who you think would be great in a role? You can even nominate a friend!
The survey site will be active until Monday, April 11.
Don’t miss this chance to be more involved! Questions? Contact Laura Stewart.
Spring Break 2017: Date Change
St. Michael's tries to keep our vacation dates aligned with the independent schools in Richmond. Recently, we learned that some of the other independent schools were planning for different Spring Break dates for the 2016-2017 school year. Thus, we have decided to move our Spring Break dates for next year from March 13-17 to March 6-10.
For planning purposes, the following major dates have been set for the next School year.
- August 29, 2016: Middle School orientation/ First (half) day of Lower School
- November 23, 2016: First day of Thanksgiving Break (No School)
- December 16, 2016: Last (half) day before Christmas break
- March 3, 2017: Last (half) day before Spring Break
- March 6-10, 2017: Spring Break (Note: THIS IS A CHANGE in the proposed calendar.)
- June 9, 2017: Graduation
Magic Dragon Day Collections: Items Needed
All of these items below will be raffled or sold at MDD to help fund some of the special programs sponsored by the SMPA and for the benefit of our children:
- Bring us your extra books! Please donate gently used books that can be "purchased" at the Dragon’s Lair Used Book Sale. Leave the stuffed animals at home and bring books to school instead!! **Please note this is a change. We are no longer accepting stuffed animal donations, but hope you will consider a donation to a local charity if you have already began collecting these at home.**
Q's? Contact Erin Bacon
Used Spirit Wear/Navy Blazers
- Donate gently used St. Michael's spirit wear and navy blue blazers that your child has outgrown to be sold at our Spirit Wear Booth under the big tent. Questions? Contact Sandy Myers
All donations can be dropped off to the SMPA Room at the Bon Air Campus or given to Erbie Godwin at the Singleton Campus.
More general questions? Contact Jennifer Burke
@ 833-9254 or Amy Wozniak
Announcing Summer Camps at St M!
We are pleased to announce that in partnership with ArtHaus and Little Scholars, St. Michael's School will be hosting a series of summer camps at our campuses. (Note: Camps are open to non-St.M families as well.)
Here are the details:
Art Haus: Pack your Bags with the Story Lady (Ages 4-11)
- June 6-June 10, 9:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. at the LOWER SCHOOL Bon Air Campus for ages 4-11. Click here for more info.
Art Haus: The Road to Rio (ages 4-11)
- August 1-August 5, 9:30 a.m.-12: 30 p.m. at the LOWER SCHOOL Bon Air Campus for ages 4-11. Click here for more info.
Little Scholars Pre-School and Kindergarten Camps:
- Little Scholars will be offering Pre-School and Kindergarten Camps for the weeks of June 20-July 25 at our MIDDLE SCHOOL, Singleton Campus, from 9 a.m.-1 p.m.
Camp themes include: Dino Discovery, Green Thumb Club, Creative Builders, Princesses and Superheroes, Science Exploratorium and World Travelers.
- Click here for for information and to register.
The swamp was all a-buzz with party preparations galore! Naturally, the turtles were running late, and Bully the Frog was being a bully. The frogs learned a new dance they wanted to share. The tadpoles were growing appendages (yikes!) and the dragonfly larvae needed encouragement to spread their wings and fly. Lessons of friendship, tolerance, courage to face the future, and more abounded in Friday's second grade theater presentation of Swamped!
Kudos to all of our young performers and lots of thanks to all of our families who graciously helped with lines, costumes and set design! Special thanks to Mrs. Jones, Mrs. Wozniak and Mr. Tickle for leading the production!
Hot Lunch Orders
Order forms for the next session of Hot Lunch will go out in student backpacks and posted online on Monday, 4/4. Forms are due on April 11.
Let's Be Friends!
Community. Curriculum. Culture. Get connected to keep abreast of St M news, events, calendar changes and information.
Current and past issues of "This Week at St. Michael's" are now archived on our website under "News and Events," as well as under "Community."
- We Love our Teachers!
- Get in the Game: Blue/White Giving Tournament
- Volunteer for the SMPA/Survey
- Spring Break 2017
- MDD Items Needed
- Summer Camps at St M
- St M Spiritwear
Dates to Remember...
Please check our improved online School Calendar for updates, events and weekly activities/sports schedules.
Click here to download an updated Academic Calendar.
for next year's 2016-2017 School Year
key planning dates
It's Conference Week and Teacher Appreciation Week!
- Blue vs. White Giving Tournament ends at 6 p.m.! Support your team by supporting the Annual Fund!
- LS Chapel, 8:30 a.m.
- K Field Trip to Maymont, 9:30 a.m.-noon.
- 3rd Grade Williamsburg Field Trip, 7:45 a.m.-2:30 p.m.
- MS Boys LAX Home Game vs. Collegiate, 5 p.m.
- Author A.B. Westrick Visit/Writing Workshops with Grades 5-7 (at Middle School), 8:30 a.m.-noon
- MS Girls LAX HOME Game vs. Steward, 4 p.m.
- Faculty Appreciation Luncheon, 11:30 a.m.
- MS Gold Match vs. Veritas @Willow Oaks, 4-7 p.m.
- MS Girls LAX AWAY GAME @Tuckahoe, 4:30 p.m.
- MS Boys LAX AWAY Game@ St. Christopher's, 5 p.m.
- First Grade Grandparents' Day: Friday, 4/15
- MS "Open Mike": Friday 4/15