With the recent announcement of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) phase-out, it is important to make sure that you know what to expect in the next month. Many friends and family members may be worried about status expirations, deadlines, or wondering how they can help. The deadline for current DACA recipients to submit renewal applications is less than a month away. The government will stop accepting DACA renewal requests on October 5, 2017. Applications filed after this date will not be processed.
- Only current recipients may submit renewal applications at this time. The government is no longer accepting initial applications.
- Current recipients may only renew their status if it expires between September 5, 2017, and March 5, 2018.
- After October 5, 2017, the government will reject all applications to renew DACA and associated Employment Authorization Documents (EADs).
DACA is not an option for new applicants, or for those whose DACA expires after the cut-off date. However, it is important to discuss opportunities for other immigration relief with an experienced immigration attorney.
Employment authorizations for DACA beneficiaries will expire over the next three years. The government will honor the remaining validity period for EADs and will not revoke or terminate DACA or employment authorization without reason.
DACA recipients have the right to work legally until their employment authorization expires.
- Remember, employers should not inquire about an applicant or employee’s immigration status.
- If an employee’s EAD will expire soon, you should request updated work permits.
- DACA recipients with valid EADs cannot be fired solely because of their current immigration status.
If employers expect these changes to affect a large portion of their workforce, they should contact experienced attorneys for assistance in determining potential impact and developing a plan of action.
If you or anyone you know has questions or concerns, please reach out to us at 713.289.4546 or via email at email@example.com