ARE Update
In this issue: Technical issues dramatically improve for online testers and NCARB launches enhancements to the exam calculator.
Enhanced Exam Calculator
In an effort to improve the tools available to Architect Registration Examination® (ARE®) candidates, NCARB is releasing an enhanced calculator within the ARE software, which will be available to all testers beginning Monday, November 29. The enhanced calculator includes an updated interface, a history feature that displays all recent calculations, and improved memory functionality allowing testers to store multiple values at the same time.

The updated calculator maintains the existing functionality of the current calculator, including trigonometric functions. In addition, the new calculator defaults to degree units for ease of use.

Candidates can test out the new calculator today by launching the ARE Demonstration Exam through their My NCARB account. All candidates should become familiar with the enhanced functionality prior to testing.

Technical Issues Dramatically Improve for Online Testers
The overall proportion of candidates reporting tech issues has declined and is now 4 percent overall. Due to a recent software update to the online application and candidates taking advantage of the test run resource, online technical issues have also declined and are now being reported by only 7 percent of candidates, a 13 percent reduction from last month.   

The majority of exam administrations (approximately 78 percent) were delivered at Prometric centers, while the remaining 22 percent were taken online.
Illustration of three cogs representing overall, online and onsite reporting of technical issues.
Most technical issues for online testers are caused by short lapses in internet connectivity from an online tester’s service provider. Make sure your internet service can support a consistent stable connection throughout the duration of your examination appointment. If you are testing online, be sure to follow all recommended guidance—including disabling all antivirus and internet security applications—prior to launching your ARE appointment. Learn more about the dos and don’ts for taking ARE 5.0 online. Before testing, take a free test run appointment to verify your online proctoring setup, including your testing environment, meets the necessary Prometric requirements.

If you experience a technical issue, immediately notify your proctor and then contact NCARB within 15 days. Remember, if you’re unable to complete the exam due to a major technical issue, we will work with you to reschedule the division at no cost.

1401 H Street NW Suite 500
Washington, DC, 20005
Twitter Facebook Instagram LinkedIn YouTube
powered by emma
Subscribe to our email list.