In July, as events impacting J.D. and LL.M. students across the country unfolded, Dean Michael A. Simons shared this message on social media:
"Later today lawyers will appear before a federal judge in Boston seeking to stop ICE from revoking the visas of international students whose universities adopt online programs in response to the public health crisis.
St. John's University has joined an amicus brief in support of that lawsuit.
As the dean of St. John's Law, I’m proud to stand with our international students. As a legal educator, I’m grateful for the rule of law, an independent judiciary, and the Administrative Procedure Act.”
Ultimately, the U.S. government rescinded the contested policy and related plan.
We were all set for the August Law Matters webcast, but Tropical Storm Isaias had other plans as it battered the coast and caused power outages.
So, we’re taking a do-over on September 9, 2020, when Dean Michael A. Simons will sit down with three St. John’s Law faculty colleagues to review the recent U.S. Supreme Court Term.
His guests will be:
• John Q. Barrett, Professor of Law; Elizabeth S. Lenna Fellow, Robert H.
Jackson Center; Justice Jackson biographer; and Creator, the Jackson List
email list and web archive
• Marc O. DeGirolami, Cary Fields Professor of Law; Co-Director, Center for
Law and Religion; Co-Creator, Law and Religion Forum blog; and Co-Host,
Legal Spirits podcast
• Anita S. Krishnakumar, Mary C. Daly Professor of Law
They’ll share their wide-ranging expertise as educators and Court scholars as they discuss the:
• DACA Case (Department of Homeland Security v. Regents of University of
• Title VII Case (Bostock v. Clayton County)
• Religious Liberty Cases (Espinoza v. Montana Dept. of Revenue and Our
Lady of Guadalupe School v. Morrissey-Berru)
• Trump Subpoena Cases (Trump v. Mazars USA, LLP and Trump v. Vance)
Alumni in the virtual audience will have a chance to contribute to the conversation during a Q&A session. There’s no fee to attend, but you need to register in advance to get the WebEx webcast access credentials.