DETAILED INFORMATION ON THIS PROCESS SENT TO ALL INBOUND FAIRFAX AND SMSC RESIDENTIAL STUDENTS
Dear Mason Patriots,
We are looking forward to Fall 2020 and having you on campus. Needless to say, COVID-19 has created unique challenges. We are planning your return with several measures to ensure your safety and success as a student at Mason and the safety of those around you.
In an effort to reduce the likelihood of COVID-19-positive students returning to campus housing, George Mason University is requiring that all residential students at our Fairfax and SMSC campuses have a negative COVID-19 test result prior to move in. Mason is providing free test kits to our inbound residential students residing in the United States.
This email outlines the steps you need to take to obtain a COVID-19 testing kit and complete the testing process. We ask that you act upon this email immediately
, as time to send, receive back, and process tests prior to move-in is very short. We thank you for your cooperation with this effort and helping ensure as safe a Mason experience as possible.
REQUIRED: At-Home Testing for Inbound Fairfax and SMSC Residential Students
Mason is partnering with Kallaco, a testing and comprehensive wellness solution provider, to provide Fairfax residential students and SMSC residential students at Front Royal a personal at-home testing kit prior to your return to campus. The test kit and analysis will be provided at no cost to you, provided you complete the requirement before move-in.
All students who wish to reside in Fairfax and SMSC residence halls are required to complete and submit an at-home COVID-19 test and receive a negative result
before returning to campus to move into your residence hall. If you are experiencing any COVID-19 symptoms, seek medical attention immediately, do not wait for the at-home test.
This process can take a few weeks, so your immediate action is critical.
You must complete and ship back your test by Wednesday, August 5th
. Students residing in the United States must follow these steps to receive your test kit and take your COVID-19 test.
Completing your Test and Obtaining Results
1. Update your mailing address on PatriotWeb (https://patriotweb.gmu.edu/
) for Mason records.
2. You will receive an email from Kallaco with a link to register with them and request your test.
3. Please immediately create an account with Kallaco and sign the consent form.
- You will need to provide your shipping address for the testing kit. Your test will be shipped to the address you provide Kallaco during registration. Please note we cannot ship to P.O. boxes or internationally.
- If you do not have a reliable US address, please contact us at TestHelp@gmu.edu so we can assist you.
- You will still be required to provide a negative test result prior to move in
- If you have any questions or issues regarding registration and test processing, please reach out to email@example.com.
4. You will receive a test kit within 24 hours of registering and creating your account. Note: Kallaco cannot send a test within 24 hours if registration is completed on a weekend, it will be sent in one business day.
5. You must complete your at-home test within 24 hours of receipt and ship back immediately to ensure enough time to receive your testing results. Upon receipt, carefully follow the instructions and take the test.
6. Once the lab receives your test, you will receive notification regarding your test results within approximately 1-3 days.
- You will receive your results through secure messaging in the Kallaco app, as well as via email.
- For positive test results, you will also receive via the Kallaco app follow-up instructions.
Positive students should seek immediate follow-up medical care from their preferred healthcare provider.
7. If you do not take and ship back this test by Wednesday, August 5th, the at-home test will not be processed in time, and you will need to take a test – at your own cost – at a healthcare provider of choice.
8. In the time between taking the test and returning to campus, you should minimize contact with others as much as possible. Please self-quarantine to help ensure a healthy residential student population.
Returning to Campus:
9. In order to move in, you will need to present the following items. Note: You can present the Kallaco app to show your test results, clearance letter, and symptom screening.
- A negative COVID-19 test result dated 7/27/2020 or later (from Kallaco or your preferred provider). Note: If you previously tested positive, you must provide a clearance letter from your healthcare provider.
- A green status from Kallaco’s symptom screener for the day of move-in –OR- a clearance letter from healthcare provider test results
- Completion of Student Health Services Medical and Family History form. Please go to shs.gmu.edu and click on Patient Portal and log in to complete the form. This is due 8/1/2020.
- Note: The Kallaco symptom checking app will take the place of Mason Covid Health for move-in clearance. Please use the Kallaco app daily, starting the week before move-in. If you have any symptoms during the week before move-in, please call your healthcare provider for evaluation.
10. If you do not meet the requirements listed in step 9, you will NOT be admitted to Mason housing.
11. If you arrive on campus without having completed required COVID-19 testing:
- Move-in will be suspended.
- You will be advised to go to a provider of your choice to receive a COVID-19 screening and testing at your own cost.
- Once completed, you must quarantine off campus. You can return to campus after you receive your test results and present the following to move in:
- Green status from the Kallaco screening app
- A negative COVID-19 test result or clearance from a healthcare provider.
12. Students on the wait list for campus housing should take an at-home test.
13. Students residing in the U.S. will need to provide an address to which the test kit can be mailed.
14. International students returning from abroad
, please contact us at TestHelp@gmu.edu
so we can assist you. You will still be required to provide a negative test result or clearance letter prior to move in.
15. Please note that when they come to campus, students must practice safe behaviors and follow all CDC and George Mason public health and safety guidance including wearing a face covering, practicing physical distancing, and hand washing. Students should refer to the Safe Return to Campus web site (https://www2.gmu.edu/Safe-Return-Campus) for more information.
If you have any questions related to these modified move-in procedures, please do not hesitate to contact TestHelp@gmu.edu
. If you have a general housing question, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
. And if you have any specific questions about the test kits or procedures in particular, please contact email@example.com
. Enjoy the rest of your summer, and we look forward to seeing you in August.
George Mason University