1. Fill the tall glass almost to the top with room-temperature water.
2. Pour 2 tablespoons of oil into the other glass.
3. Add 2 drops of food coloring to the glass with the oil.
4. Stir the oil into the food coloring using a fork. Stop once you break the food coloring into smaller drops.
5. Pour the oil and coloring mixture into the tall glass.
6. Now watch! The food coloring will slowly sink in the glass, with each droplet expanding outwards as it falls. Looks like fireworks!
How Does it Work?
Food coloring dissolves in water, but not in oil. So when you pour in your food coloring/oil mixture the oil will float at the top of the water because it is less dense, and the food coloring will begin to dissolve once they sink through the oil and into the water.
Share your experiment with us on social media!