This quick and easy recipe makes an elegant appetizer. Toss the ingredients together about 45 minutes before serving so the salad can chill in the refrigerator. The beans, tomatoes, onions, and parsley are rich in cancer-fighting nutrients and the calorie count easily fits within most diets.
For the salad dressing:
2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
1 garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon dried oregano
¼ cup cider vinegar
For the bean salad:
2 (16-ounce) cans cannelloni beans or other with beans, rinsed and drained
1-1/2 cups diced plum tomatoes
½ cup chopped white or yellow sweet onion
½ cup (2 ounces) crumbled blue cheese
1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground pepper
For the crostini:
Two loaves deli-style bread for the crostini (French, Italian, or whole-wheat)
University Bariatric Center Presents
Healthy Living in the Kitchen
To prepare salad dressing:
• In a nonstick skillet, heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and oregano; sauté for 30 seconds. Remove from heat and sir in vinegar.
To prepare the salad:
• In a large bowl, combine remaining teaspoon of olive oil and the next 7 ingredients. (beans through pepper)
• Add the dressing to the bean salad; toss lightly.
• Cover and chill for 30 minutes before serving.
To prepare crostini:
• Slice bread thinly. Toast under a broiler or in the toaster. Top with bean salad.