Early Dismissal on Wednesday
A reminder that Wednesday, September 26 is a NOON dismissal day.
Need drop-in childcare that afternoon?
- Our K-8 Extended Day program will be open from 12-6 p.m.
- Reservations are required. Limited space available for drop-ins on a first come, first served basis. Drop-ins must sign up by NOON on Tuesday, September 25.
- To make a reservation for your child, contact Allyson Steele.
- Note: If your family is registered for the Core Extended Day program, this half-day of care is included in your contract so sign-up is not required.
Go Fish! Virginia Outside
is offering an afternoon of fishing at local parks for grades 1-5 from noon-3 p.m. on this early dismissal day. Participants will be picked up at school, transported to fishing spots, and returned to school for pickup. All equipment provided. No experience necessary. Cost is $35. Please register HERE.
Application Time is NOW for the 2019 Kindergarten Class
Now is the time to apply for Kindergarten for 2019! Applications may be submitted online.
Our St M families are our best ambassadors! Please help us spread the word about our Admissions Open Houses!
- A Kindergarten Open House is scheduled for October 25 at 9:30 am. Interested families may register HERE.
- A Middle School Open House is scheduled for Sunday, November 11 at 2 p.m. Interested families may register HERE.
New this year: Welcome Wednesdays!
- Kindergarten Admissions tours will be given EACH Wednesday at 9:30 a.m. No registration needed! Meet in the lobby of Hubbard Hall. Tell your friends and neighbors!
School Directory/Handbook Sent Home!
The 2018-2019 School Directory and Handbook is hot off the presses and was sent home this week with the youngest child in each family.
The Directory includes a list of St M families by zipcode to aid with carpools and relationship-building in your neighborhoods, as well as Middle School Google Classroom codes.
The presentation of Birthday Books to the library is a special tradition at St. Michael’s. Each year, students may choose a favorite new book from a selection set aside in the library or by special order through the librarian. A bookplate in the front of each book includes the child’s name and birthday. Books may also be given in honor or memory of someone.
Birthday books can be given at any time during the school year, although many families choose to give the books during a child’s birthday month. This year, for the first time, birthday books will be presented during a child’s weekly library class so that they may be added to the library collection in a more timely manner. As our School has come together on one campus, we look forward to more Middle School students participating in the Birthday Book program as well.
At regular intervals throughout the year, we will publish photos of the Birthday Books in the weekly St M newsletter, along with the names of those presenting them. Birthday Book participant names will also be included in the St. Michael’s Annual Report.
Please email Mrs. Wise at the Lower School (email@example.com
) or Mrs. Carpenter (firstname.lastname@example.org
) at the Middle School if you would like them to assist your child in selecting a birthday book!
ERB Testing Week for Grades 3-8 is October 1-5
A friendly reminder that ERB testing for Grades 3-8 will take place October 1-5. More info on this testing will be sent out closer to the test dates.
- As per our handbook, it may not be possible for students to make up missed achievement tests.
- NO HOT LUNCH will be served during ERB week.
- ERB testing will occur within the first hour and a half of each day (ranges from 40 minutes to 90 min).
- A reminder that 6th grade students need to charge their Chromebooks each night and bring them to School every day for testing.
8th Grade Camping Trip: New Dates
Save the dates for Thursday and Friday, November 15 & 16 for the rescheduled 8th Grade Camping Trip!
We will depart at 7:30 a.m. from the Old Martin's at Stony Point Shopping Center and arrive back on Friday at 3:30 p.m., at the same location. Stay tuned for more details!
Planning for High School: A Program for 8th Grade Families
St. Michael's invites our 8th Grade families to attend our High School Planning Program on Wednesday, October 10 from 1-3 p.m. to learn about high school options and the application process. More details and a "Guide to the High School Process" will be sent to eighth grade families shortly.
- Please note that the Henrico school system is holding some of their high school specialty center open houses in advance of our meeting on the 10th. Dates can be found HERE.
- Dates for the Chesterfield County specialty center open houses can be found HERE.
- The Maggie Walker Governor's School open house schedule can be found HERE.
Model UN Informational Meeting (for 8th Gr. Parents/ Students)
A Model UN informational meeting for 8th grade parents and students will be held in the Great Hall on Tuesday, September 25 from 3:15-3:45 p.m.
Remember Rain Coats
A reminder to please send raincoats with students when the weather is wet as students travel outside between buildings for academic, enrichment, and PE activities.
Send Us Your Spiritwear Ideas!
We'd love to know what new spiritwear items you would like to see offered!
Click HERE to send us your thoughts in a brief survey.
Visit our spiritwear website HERE to place online orders for St M apparel.
From shirts and string bags to belts and hats, we have lots of exciting items!
We enjoyed seeing all of our smiling Dragons at school pictures this past week. If your child missed picture day a make-up day will be scheduled in the near future.
Please note that school pictures will be ordered online this year. A link with ordering instructions will be sent out in a few weeks.
If you have any questions regarding your picture order, please contact Tracy Ward
or Christi McFadden.
Understanding the Smartphone Generation
An interesting speaker addressing the topic of helping kids find balance with technology is coming to Richmond. The event is open to the RVA community.
When: October 11th, 7 p.m.
Where: St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church, Richmond
What: Presentation by Dr. Jean Twenge, author of iGen: Why Today’s Super-Connected Kids are Growing up Less Rebellious, More Tolerant, Less Happy—and Completely Unprepared for Adulthood.
Click HERE for more information.
Event registration is required.
Come Race for CHAnge!
Race for the CHAnge (CHA = Cooper Henry Abbott)
- 5K AND a Children's Fun Run
- Saturday, October 13 at 9 a.m.
- When you register, please join the St. Michael's Episcopal School team with the PASSWORD: dragons.
St. Michael's is organizing a team to run in the Race for CHAnge to raise funds for pediatric cancer research. This event is in memory of St M student Cooper Henry Abbott who lost his battle to the disease last November at age 9.
Let's Be Friends!
Get connected to keep abreast of St M news, events, calendar changes and information.
Current and past issues of "This Week at St. Michael's" are now archived on our website under "News and Events
," as well as under "Community
Dates to Remember
Please check our online School Calendar
for the UPDATED 2018-2019 Academic Calendar.
Never miss an update!
Subscribe to our School calendars
and receive automatic updates! Please subscribe to the ALL SCHOOL calendar, PLUS the Lower School or Middle School calendar (or both) as needed.
Monday, Sept. 24:
- Dragon Dress Day for Grades 3-8
- Exploring Faith, 7:15 a.m.
- 6th Grade Calendar Meeting, 6:30 p.m.
Tuesday, Sept 25:
- 8th Grade Model UN Parent/Student Info Meeting, 3:15 p.m.
Wednesday, Sept 26:
- All School Early Dismissal, Noon
Thursday, Sept 27:
- MS SCA Primaries during Class Meetings, 8 a.m.
- 8th Grade Field Trip to Univ of Richmond, 9-11:30 a.m.
Friday, Sept 28:
- 8th Grade Dress Down Day
- 1st Grade Zoo Field Trip
Note: Due to the volume of sports practices and games, please consult the online School calendar for practice/game dates and times.
Exploring Faith (for Grades 6-8)
Monday, 9/24, 7:15-7:45 a.m., MS Allen Library
Mrs. Evans and Mr. Hansen will be leading a brand new group this year for Middle Schoolers called Exploring Faith. In this before-school gathering, we will explore the hard questions of our faith and try to grapple with the answers together.
Please contact Mr. Hansen to confirm your child's interest. The dates for the entire year are on the School's Google Calendar.
3rd Annual St. Michael's Fall Fest Weekend
Saturday, September 29
St. Michael's Episcopal Church
Join us for our 3rd annual Fall Fest celebration including tasty food, good music, a bounce house, and awesome tents of community partners!
Big Tent Service
Sunday, September 30
Join us for a "BIG" Tent Service at St. Michael's Church out on the front lawn, followed by youth group at 11:45 a.m.