Week of February 23, 2015
Did everyone have fun the snow?
Only 25 more days until Spring!
TEACHER APPRECIATION WEEK
The Best Teachers (by Joanna Fichs)
Teachers open up young minds, showing them the wonders of the intellect
and the miracle of being able to think for themselves.
A teacher exercises the mental muscles of students,
stretching and strengthening, so they can make challenging decisions,
find their way in the world, and become independent.
The best teachers care enough to gently push and prod students
to do their best and fulfill their potential. You are one of those. Thank you.
This week, join us as we show our appreciation and gratitude for all of the wonderful teachers at St. Michael's. Thank you teachers for all you do to promote a lifelong love of learning and discovery in our St M children!
RE-ENROLLMENT CONTRACTS DUE
Due to communications and logistical delays caused by recent weather, the School is extending the re-enrollment deadline from Friday, February 20 to this Tuesday, February 24. The $100 tuition discount credited to families meeting the re-enrollment deadline will likewise be extended to February 24.
Friendly Reminder: When entering Lower School buildings outside of normal school hours, please use the front door when you initially arrive. While sign-in is not necessary outside School hours, it’s courteous to let folks working in the administrative wing know that you’re on campus. As always, remember to keep all exterior doors locked and to park only on paved/gravel surfaces. Thank you!
Check Mate! Championship Chess, our popular after-school chess program for Lower School students (K-5), is now registering for the spring session. The sessions are on Wednesdays from 2:40-3:40 p.m, beginning on March 18 and ending on May 20. Click here for more information and to register.
Join us for After School Fun and Games:
We are excited to offer a new after school opportunity for Grades 3-5 called "Fun and Games." A different game will be played each week, including kickball, pickle ball, Frisbee golf and more! These will be held on Tuesday afternoons from 3-4:00 p.m., beginning March 17 and ending April 14. Click here to sign-up!
Sign-ups due in please by March 6
Calling all Runners! Spring Track:
Middle School track will be offered for both boys and girls this spring. Practices begin on Monday, 2/23 and practice days are on Monday, Tuesday and Friday. Here is some important additional information on the track practice schedule and expectations.
Get Ready for LAX Season!
- The Girls' Middle School Lacrosse team will start practicing on Monday, 2/23 from 3-4:30 p.m. Prior to spring break, practices will only be on Mondays and Wednesdays from 3-4:30 p.m. Please dress appropriately as we will be outside if at all possible. Don't forget your water bottles. New players welcome! It is not too late to sign up! Here is the form. Questions or concerns, please contact Coach Martin.
- The Boys' Middle School Lacrosse team will start practicing on Tuesday, 2/24 from 5:30-7 p.m. Practices are on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Please dress appropriately as we will be outside if at all possible and bring water bottles. Questions or concerns, please contact Coach Kern.
Babysitting Certification Class for MS Students
We are pleased to offer a babysitting certification class to our Middle School students after school on Thursday, February 26th and Thursday, March 5th. It is a 4-hour class that will be split into two days, running from 3-5:00 p.m. Students need to attend both classes for certification. The class will cover topics such as First Aid, babysitting basics, questions to ask parents and common expectations. There is a cost of $40 for this class. Checks should be made out to “On-Site Safety Training”. Checks will be collected the first day of class.
For questions or to sign up for the class, please email Katherine Martin at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The class must have a minimum of 12 students to be offered. A maximum of 25 students may attend.
Let's Be Friends!
Get connected to keep abreast of St M news, events, calendar changes and information.
Current and past issues of "This Week at St. Michael's" are now archived on our website under "News and Events," as well as under "Community."
Join us for "Meetings with Michael" this week on "Service at St M"!
Tuesday, 2/24, 1:45 p.m. (Bon Air) and Wednesday, 2/25, 8:15 a.m. (Singleton)
- Fourth Grade Lego Coaches Meeting, Bon Air Campus (Coaches only, no students), Sunday, 2/22, 1 p.m.
- Third Grade Living History (Eaton), Monday, 2/23, 8:30-9:30 a.m.
- Chapel, Tuesday, 2/24, 8:30 a.m.
- Third Grade Living History (Hettrick), Thursday, 2/26, 8:30-9:30 a.m.
- Second Grade Egypt Day, Friday, 2/27, 8:30 a.m.
- Given the snow delay, MS Hot Lunch forms are due on Monday, 2/23. Here is the form.
- Spring Play Rehearsals (speaking parts only this week), Wednesday, 2/25 and Friday, 2/27, 3-4 p.m.
- Babysiting Certification Class, Thursday, 2/26, 3-5 p.m.
- Chapel, Friday, 2/27 at 2 p.m.
- Girls' Middle School Lacrosse team practice, Monday, 2/23 and Wednesday, 2/25 from 3-4:30 p.m.
- Boys' Middle School Lacrosse team practice, Tuesday , 2/24 and Thursday, 2/26. 5:30-7 p.m.
- Track practice, Monday, 2/23, Tuesday, 2/24 and Friday, 27, 3-5 p.m. at the Trinity track.
- Boys Varsity B Bball practice, Monday, 2/23 and Wednesday, 2/25, 6:30-8:00 p.m.
- Boys Varsity B Bball Semi-Final Game, Saturday, 2/28, 9:00 a.m. @Benedictine vs. AJ Cooper.