Dear Educators and Friends,
As we approach the final stretch of the 2018-19 school year, we are excited to share with you our bold vision for Multilingual Oakland! With the foundation we have built over many years and linguistic assets the Oakland community already brings to our schools, we are positioned to align with the California Global Initiative 2030 and grow the number of students who graduate bilingual and biliterate.
Our goal is to provide students from PK-12th grade with language learning opportunities that ensure equitable access to the proven academic, cognitive and social benefits of bilingualism.
Our vision for all students includes:
- Academic achievement - full closure of the achievement gap for ELLs & higher achievement for all.
- Bilingualism and Biliteracy - full bilingualism for ELLs and students who speak English at home.
- Cultural humility and competence - a heightened level of multicultural awareness and communication skills.
Here's what is already in place:
Eight Dual Language Schools: 5 TK-5 schools (Global, Esperanza, ICS, CUES, SEED); 2 TK-8 schools (MLA and the emerging program at Greenleaf) and one 6-8 at Oakland SOL.
World Language programs in four Middle Schools and eleven High Schools throughout Oakland.
3,174 students enrolled in Dual Language programs in the 2018-2019 school year. That's close to 10% of OUSD enrollment!
134 California Seal of Biliteracy will be awarded to High School graduates in 2019 (up from 87 last year), a 54% increase! Check out these stand-out schools:
- The largest % goes to LIFE ACADEMY: 22 recipients or 35% of their senior class!!!
- Followed by CCPA: 16 recipients or 25% of their senior class!!
- The largest total number goes to OAKLAND TECH with 54 recipients biliterate in four different languages: Spanish, Chinese, French and Japanese!!!
Also in this month's newsletter:
- Don't miss the one minute video clips of our brilliant multilingual students - Seal of Biliteracy recipients from Oakland Tech and Fremont share what it means to be recognized for their mastery of a second language.
- Summer PD opportunities - registration is winding down so don't wait to sign up!