Meet HDP's Summer Crew (pictured below)
Since 2020 HDP has recruited and trained a summer crew to monitor the outcomes of projects implemented by the Harney County Wildfire Collaborative and the Harney Basin Wetlands Collaborative. This year's group of 6 play a crucial role in forwarding the work of these two collaboratives while being exposed to careers in the natural resource field.
A bit about the six that make up the summer crew.
The Stream Team. This is a new crew for 2023. This crew is focused on monitoring streams in the Southern Malheur Forest.
- Emily Hamant is from Selah, WA and graduated from the University of Montana in 2020. Emily has worked various field seasons and is now applying to graduate schools.
- Abigale Hobdey is a natural resources student and Natural Resources Ambassador at Treasure Valley Community College.
Malheur National Wildlife Refuge.
Sarah Weber is the Substation Management Technician working at the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge. She's a University of Oregon student learning about the management of water on a landscape. Living and working in the Harney Basin this summer is a tremendous opportunity to learn real world issues and opportunities around landscape water management.
The Habitat Crew. They will be continuing work completed in 2022 working in both the Pueblo Mountains and Stinkingwater Mountains. They will also help with monitoring data collection at the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge.
- Brayden Burke is studying Wildlife Management at Brigham Young University-Idaho and was most recently working on a project in Northern Idaho scaring birds away from a fish hatchery.
- Noah Kulp came to HDP from Pennsylvania where he just graduated with a degree in Environmental Studies and has experience in field settings collecting information for research.
- Owen Graham is a Burns High School student who has taken advantage of the Harney Internship Program through the Youth Changing the Community Collaborative. He's worked with kindergartners at Slater Elementary and job shadowed several positions at Harney District Hospital.
Picture below, top row: Abigale, Emily and Sarah and bottom row: Brayden, Noah and Owen.