It's hard to believe the final day of school has arrived! The first day of the school year seems like yesterday, and yet at the same time, like a million years ago! In between there have been so many wonderful moments and special events, including a full season of in-person graduations and end-of-year events for students and families. Unfortunately, I was unable to attend the vast majority of these celebrations (including my own daughter's graduation!), as I got sick in the last few weeks of school, but I am so thankful our school communities were able to mark these milestones together.
As we wrap up the school year, I do wish to acknowledge the hard work of all of our educators and school staff, who together with families, make the magic happen. The last couple of years have been incredibly challenging, with changes galore, and we could not have done it without the collaboration and hard work of so many people. From administrators, teachers, ECE's and EA's, to caretakers, SNA's, and clerical staff, and every other staff and support that keep our students supported and schools in order, a huge thank you from the bottom of my heart!
In June, we often announce administrative changes for the upcoming school year, as administrators retire, transfer or are promoted. This year is no different and I want to congratulate and send best wishes to the following individuals in Ward 11 who will be making changes:
- Vice Principal Kelly Caisse-Miller of Hodgson, transferring to Henry Kelsey SPS;
- Acting Vice Principal Jamie Parkes of Owen, promoted to Vice Principal of John Wanless PS
- Vice Principal Melissa Berger of Bedford Park, transferring to Owen PS;
- Vice Principal Frances Themeliopoulos of Bessborough, promoted to Principal of Rolph Rd;
- Acting Vice Principal Austin Pool of Leaside HS, promoted to Vice Principal of Leaside HS;
- Acting Vice Principal Craig Silvera of Northlea EMS, promoted to Vice Principal of Pierre Laporte MS;
- Principal Dima Nijmeh-Mantia of Bessborough, transferring to Finch PS;
- Principal Barbara Sandler of Northlea EMS, transferring to Fraser Mustard Early Learning Academy;
- Principal Sandra Larosa of Rolph Rd, retiring;
- Principal Lynne Chadder of Rippleton, retiring;
And we welcome the following *NEW* additions to Ward 11:
- Vice Principal Janet Bambrick of Gledhill JPS, promoted to Principal of Bessbrough;
- Ms. Lynette Bacon, teacher from Brown PS, promoted to Vice Principal of Bessborough;
- Principal Manny Da Luz of West Preparatory JPS, transferring to Rippleton;
- Vice Principal Suzy Papadopoulos of Howard PS, promoted to Principal of Northlea EMS;
- Vice Principal Jill Kelsall of West Preparatory JPS, transferring to Bedford Park.
Congratulations and best wishes to all in their new roles! For those leaving Ward 11, thank you for supporting our schools and we will miss you! For. those joining us for the first time, welcome to Ward 11!
In Board News...
Budget: At last night's final board meeting for the official school year, Trustees approved the 2022-23 operating budget. The $3.4 billion budget includes investments in a number of key areas, including mental health supports, early reading coaches, additional ESL teachers, student safety, resources to combat hate and racism, and technology for students.
Please click to the Board website for more information and the budget itself.
Student Trustees: in April, students from across the city voted online to elect their Student Trustees for the 2022-23 school year. Congratulations to
Jeffrey Osaro (Northview Heights Secondary School) and Naomi Musa (Central Toronto Academy), who will join Indigenous Student Trustee Isaiah Shafqat (Kapapamahchakwew - Wandering Spirit School). Read for more on the student trustees on the TDSB website.
Ward 11 News: Coffee Mornings
I want to thank everybody who connected with me over the past year. Your input has been invaluable. I have enjoyed meeting many people, thankfully some in person again, and of course many more virtually. Our Coffee Monings continue to be a success. Our last one on June 8 was again very well attended and engaging. In our open, informal format, several people shared their updates, ideas and concerns.
For more about my Coffee Mornings and Ward Forums, check out my Ward website at tdsb.on.ca/ward11, where meeting announcements and reports will are posted. In September, we aim to start with the postponed Ward Forum about the Board's Long Term Program and Accommodation Strategy, including real estate development in the Ward and the effects that this will have on school capacity. I look forward to seeing many of you in the fall as school resumes and these events get underway once again!
Finally, a huge thank you to those I consider essential to my personal Ward 11 team -- Wilmar Kortleever, who assists as a Trustee Liaison, the staff in Trustee Services, and Yalda in particular who assists Ward 11, and my two amazing Ward 11 Superintendents, Andrew Howard and Roni Felsen. Mr. Felsen and Mr. Howard go above and beyond each and every day and while I know they work over the summer, I hope they take some well-deserved time off!
And with that, I wish everyone a safe, happy and above all, fun summer break full of love and laughter! Please read on for all sorts of summer happenings and supports so you never have a dull moment (unless you want one!).
Rachel Chernos Lin, TDSB Trustee, Ward 11, Don Valley West