- Save the date: VACCINE's Annual Meeting has been set for October 15th and 16th, 2014 at Purdue University in West Lafayette, Indiana.
Please watch future newsletters and the VACCINE website for more information regarding this event.
- VACCINE will be hosting a Public Safety Consortium Meeting on August 28th from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. in West Lafayette, Indiana.
For additional information regarding this event, please contact Mary Padget.
- VACCINE hosted Sean Zabriskie from the Computational and Statistical Analytics National Security Division of the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory on July 1st for exploration of the Center’s capabilities and possible projects with PNNL.
- VACCINE director Dr. David Ebert met at FEMA headquarters in Washington, D.C. on July 23rd to present tools, technologies, and capabilities that could enhance the organization’s disaster response and recovery initiatives.
- VACCINE met with INCONTROL Simulation Solutions CEO Louis Schijve and Azizur Rahman, Vice-President North America, on July 7th to see what opportunities for partnership exist between the two organizations.
- Chief Gary Coons and Chief Tim Baughman from the Department of Public Safety- Communications Division for the city of Indianapolis met with the VACCINE team on July 16th to discuss joint projects.
One immediate result of the visit was their request to test VACCINE’s social media analysis tool, SMART, at an Indianapolis event the first weekend after the meeting.
- VACCINE director Dr. David Ebert met with representatives from AT&T on July 9th to present an overview of VACCINE, its capabilities, and how AT&T might be able to utilize existing technologies of the Center.
- VACCINE managing director Kaethe Beck visited the U.S. Coast Guard Research and Development Center on July 23rd-24th in New London, Connecticut as part of a group of subject matter experts invited to document best practices and lessons learned in transitioning DHS Center of Excellence research products to the USCG.
- Kaethe Beck, VACCINE Managing Director, attended the SIGMA video stakeholder meeting on July 15th at the MIT Lincoln Laboratory in Lexington, Massachusetts.
- Farewell to VACCINE Team Member: VACCINE would like to extend its gratitude to the Center’s administrative assistant Carrie Underwood for her years of service as she departs for a new position.
This past spring, Underwood graduated from Indiana State University with a B.S. in Human Resource Development for Higher Education and Industry, and she has accepted the position of Director for Student Recruitment and Enrollment at a university in Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas. The Center wishes her the best of luck in her future endeavors.
- Recent Ph.D. graduate and VACCINE student Albert Parra has accepted a position as a Research Scientist for Facebook.
Parra was a member of the Video and Image Processing Laboratory (VIPER) in the School of Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE) at Purdue University, under the direction of Professor Edward J. Delp.