Need to make a grade correction?
Once grades are submitted by faculty, they are considered final. Grade changes can occur if there has been a miscalculation in determining the grade. No additional work can be accepted from the student after the final grade is submitted.
If there is an emergency preventing a student from completing the course, the student should submit an incomplete grade request. Only the student can request an incomplete.
SUNY Guidance on grade changes:
Appropriate reasons for grade corrections or changes, which may include but not be limited to:
- Demonstrable arithmetic, editing, or factual error in calculating the grade.
- Omission of assignments or parts of assignments in calculating the grade.
- A grade demonstrably based on impermissible factors unrelated to student performance, such as discrimination, bias, retaliation or retribution.
Inappropriate reasons for grade changes include but are not be limited to:
- Saving a student from some academic penalty such as dismissal, probation, warning, or academic integrity problem.
- Enabling a student to graduate.
- Enabling a student to maintain academic eligibility for financial aid.
- Enabling a student to graduate with academic honors, or meet some other established minima.
- Personal issues unrelated to academics.
- Enabling a student to maintain academic eligibility for athletics or any other co-curricular activity.
- Managing enrollment levels in order to preserve programs or revenue, or to increase retention rates.
To make a grade change, go to my.newpaltz.edu > Faculty Services > Teaching Menu > Grade Change Request Form