LSU Emergency Operations Center (EOC) will be monitoring the forecast for Monday’s weather. I have attached (image above as well as outline below) information on preparing your home for a hard freeze. ECELP Administration will keep in close contact with the LSU EOC on the university’s plan for Monday, should inclement weather occur.
This flyer gives some great tips to avoid frozen pipes.
Before the cold weather:
- Check sprinkler or irrigation systems. Make sure everything is turned off and drained.
- Eliminate sources of cold air near water lines. Fix drafty windows.
- Know how to shut off your water.
- Protect your pipes. Wrap them with insulation.
When temperatures stay below freezing:
- If pipes run through cabinets or vanities, open the doors to let warmer room temperatures flow in.
- Keep water moving through the pipes by allowing a small trickle of water to run.
But if your pipes do freeze:
- Shut off the water immediately.
- Thaw pipes with warm air, with a hair dryer or space heater. Do not leave space heaters unattended.
- Be careful turning water back on. Once pipes are thawed, slowly turn the water back on and check pipes and joints for any cracks.
This email list was generated from FACTS; if you find that someone is missing from this email, or this is not your preferred email, please contact Celeste Smith and give her your preferred email address.