Dear Local Andover Families,
I hope that this email finds you well. As International Student Coordinator, I have the pleasure of serving our international families and meeting the unique needs of our international student population here at Andover. As 2020 has brought a unique set of challenges, the importance of the Andover Host Family Program will prove paramount in providing a sense of normalcy and security to our international students in the program.
We are recruiting families to welcome our more than 70 new international students from nearly 30 countries. Please note that the program will be entirely remote during the fall term and will open up for in-person interaction ONLY by determination by our medical director should policies for off-campus guests, visits to downtown Andover, and student day excuses be relaxed later in the school year. If you are interested in being a host family for the 2020-2021 school year, please fill out the interest form here. The deadline for signing up is August 25.
After filling out the interest form, you will receive a follow-up communication detailing the matching process and permission forms. Please email me with any questions.
There are many ways that you can engage with your international student during the remote term. Here are some ideas:
- Send care packages.
- Set up video calls to connect.
- Start a group family chat with your international student and your family.
- Attend virtual events together (online concerts, cooking classes, lectures, museum openings).
- Watch movies together via Netflix Party or shared screen option via video calls.
- Create a joint blog to document the year.
- Start a book or blog; read and discuss monthly.
- And much more!
Kelicia Jessie (formerly Hollis), PA ’08
International Student Coordinator