A message from The Knowlton Career Center
Sophomore year is a critical one in the career exploration process. While a certain (small!) percentage of sophomores are set on a career plan already, most are still very uncertain and would readily admit that they don’t really know what’s out there for them.
A new special program just for sophomores — Sophomore Career Planning Conference: Exploring YOU in Year TWO — will take place on the evening of Friday, January 31, and the morning and early afternoon of Saturday, February 1. This program is about exploration and inspiration.
During Exploring YOU in Year TWO, students will learn about themselves, think deeply about what their career goals might be, and ask the questions they need to have answered. Please encourage your student to register for this great event on Handshake: Exploring YOU in Year TWO: Sophomore Career Planning Conference.
- On Friday evening, students will hear from juniors and seniors who are majoring in a variety of departments and learn about their past internships and summer experiences.
- On Saturday, they will meet local alumni from various career sectors, followed by small group discussions with these interesting individuals.
- Saturday’s activities also include concurrent career planning sessions (including Designing Your Summer to Strengths Assessment to Considering and Preparing for Grad School)
- They will develop a plan of how they intend to move forward with further exploring their career goals during a concluding exercise.
- The program includes dinner on Friday and breakfast and lunch on Saturday.
Questions? Call us at 740-587-6656 or email email@example.com>. Space is limited, so please encourage your student to sign up soon!
Your student can read the Knowlton Note (published every Monday). (Look for some “Sophomore Special Editions” this year!) And, you can get connected to the Knowlton Center, as well, by signing up for the Knowlton Note or following the Knowlton Center on Facebook and Instagram or by checking out our blog.
More ways for your student to prepare for their sophomore summer:
- Handshake — Explore Handshake for potential job and internship opportunities for this summer.
- VMock — Update your résumé with VMock. This amazing tool utilizes artificial intelligence and machine learning to review and score résumés and provide feedback for improvement.
- Wisr Students can identify and connect with more than 1,500 Denison alumni who have expressed a willingness to network with students through the Wisr platform.
- Mock Interviews — Schedule a mock interview with a career coach before their next interview. We are happy to do these via Skype/Zoom for students who are abroad.
If you or your employer is in a position to offer summer internship opportunities, please contact either David Snider, assistant director of employer relations, at firstname.lastname@example.org or Judy Gregory White ’86, director of career preparation & employer relations, at email@example.com.
Here’s to a great second semester for both you and your student!