- VACCINE research partners Dr. Alan MacEachren and Dr. Justine Blanford of Penn State University gave a presentation in May to FEMA regarding their Symbology research as well as their research related to the use of Twitter to gauge public response to official alerts and warnings. Their presentation was part of the FEMA IPAWS-Alerts and Warnings Symbology Working Group Meeting.
- Professor Niklas Elmqvist won the 2014 Purdue Student Government Graduate Mentoring Award. The goal of this award program is to recognize Purdue University graduate faculty for their outstanding mentoring of graduate students on the Purdue University campus. This award is unique in that graduate students are solely responsible for nominating and selecting faculty candidates as well as voting on the recipient. The selection criteria used to evaluate applications were excellence in mentoring, research agenda, graduate teaching, and university and community engagement.
- VACCINE Director Dr. David Ebert was the keynote speaker at the Invitational Summit on Education Data Visualization at the University of Texas Austin on May 9th and 10th, 2014. Ebert also spoke at the Association for Psychological Science (APS) Annual Convention in San Francisco, California on May 23rd, 2014.
- The students from VACCINE's computer lab attended a GIS Workshop May 22nd, 2014 organized by the GIS Libraries Department of Purdue University. The workshop covered exposure, training, and guidance for implementing GIS and spatial thinking into research and learning as well as how to train with ESRI GIS software and how to gain deeper educational skills in GIS.
- VACCINE has a position opening for an Education Program Manager.
This position will oversee and coordinate the educational mission of the VACCINE center, facilitate education work plans, implement strategic goals, lead and coordinate multi-institution research activities, and coordinate the center’s Minority Serving Institution programs. If interested, please visit www.purdue.edu/hr/careers/
- VACCINE will be hosting an MSI faculty workshop at Morgan State University in Baltimore on July 29th and 30th, 2014.
- Students from Morgan State University will be visiting VACCINE from July 6th through July 19th.
- VACCINE will be hosting a research retreat on July 21st in Indianapolis, Indiana.
- VACCINE's annual meeting has been set for October 15th and 16th, 2014 at Purdue University in West Lafayette, Indiana.
- For a resource link to jobs, workshops, and open paper calls, including those for specific workshops at KDD, click here.