Stay Healthy in December and
End the Year Right!
The holidays are here, which means celebrations with our family and friends. Too often these festive gatherings include tempting food and drink. But don’t despair; there are ways to keep the holiday fun from becoming unwanted pounds.
6 Tips to Avoid Over-indulging
This time of year it is easy to let extra calories sneak in and not even give them a second thought. Here aresix tips we share with our clients at the UAMS Fitness Center.
- Always eat before going to a party with finger foods. It’s easy to get wrapped up in conversation and accidentally overeat. Also, try not to stand near the food. The closer you are, the easier it is to refill your plate.
- If going to a potluck, try to bring a dish that you know is a healthy (but delicious) option. This can be your safe go-to dish for your main course, and you can make choices as to what sides are best for you.
- No one ever gained 5 pounds from eating one meal, but at the same time it’s a combination of not-so- good meals that adds to holiday weight gain. Remember, the holidays are usually riddled with lots of meals. If you choose to over-indulge at all of them, you will lose the battle of the bulge. Pick and choose where you want to splurge and do it sparingly.
- Don’t give up and throw in the towel because you messed up on one meal. Too often people use one bad meal to justify giving up and eating whatever they please for the next week. If you mess up, just get right back on track your next meal and don’t sweat it! Unless that sweat is in the gym, then go for it.
- Try not to drink your calories. If you plan to eat not-so-healthy, try to stick with water. We usually forget that beverages have calories and don’t take them into consideration. Be careful, those add up quick!
- Try your best to stick to your workout schedule. If you find yourself 50 miles away from the closest gym, do something active anyway. Go for a walk after your meal. Exercise will help you releive stress and burn some calories. Even a short body weight workout is effective. See our example below.