August 25: Hooray for the First Day of School!
It's the MOST wonderful time of the year...
Back to School time!
We hope all of our Dragons had a fun and restful summer. We are so very excited to have our learning community back together. We also extend a very warm St. Michael's welcome to all of our brand new students and families! It is an exciting time to be at St. Michael's!
As the start of the school year is always so busy, this first installment of our weekly newsletter contains all of the info you need to get through the first week. We know this is a long one, but as it is important information, thanks for your understanding. Moving forward, please note that our "This Week @ St. Michael's" newsletter goes out every Sunday morning to help you prepare for the week ahead. Copies are posted as well on the St M website and social media.
Be sure to check out and LIKE our St M Facebook, Twitter
and new Instagram
pages for photos and videos from the first week of school! We also have a NEW Media Gallery
page on our website under News and Events so you can follow all of our St M social media in one place!
Welcome Back, Dragons!
Show your DRAGON PRIDE on the First Day of School!
A rite of passage each school year is the taking of first day of school photos.
Show your DRAGON PRIDE by taking a photo of your child on the first day with the St. Michael's sign below and posting it on your social media with the hashtag #STMDragonPride
. Or, email your photos to our Communications Office
Click HERE for the "Proud to be A Dragon" First Day of School sign.
Go BLUE! Go WHITE! Go DRAGONS!
Back to School Forms and Summer Assignments
On that page, you can also find Summer Assignments by grade. Be sure to scroll down the page as they are at the bottom.
Directory Updates Needed
Did you move this summer? Has your email or phone number changed? Do you want School communications to go to a particular email address?
Please send any changes by Thursday, September 1, as we are finalizing the School directory and communications email lists.
Returning families need only to review their current listing (in last year's directory) and forward all new/corrected information (e.g., address, email, phone numbers, etc.) to Erbie Godwin
New families will be emailed separately to confirm contact info.
Add our School and Sports Calendars to your Own
We have improved the calendar functions on the School website (under News and Events) so that you can now:
Subscribe to the following calendars so they feed to your own calendar program: Academic Calendar, Lower School Calendar, Middle School Calendar, plus all fall Middle School Sports calendars (Cross Country, Soccer and Field Hockey). Click here. (Subscription links are below the monthly calendar.)
- View monthly and yearly master calendars of all School events, holidays, early dismissals, after-school activities, etc.
- View/sort events by Lower School, Middle School, Lower School Co-Curriculars and Sports and Middle School Co-Curriculars and Sports.
- To filter by specific calendars on the website master calendar, please click the downward arrow next to the "Agenda" tab.
Pack a Lunch the First Week of School
Our hot lunch program WILL NOT BEGIN until the Tuesday after Labor Day (Sept. 6), so be sure to pack lunches for your child/children until then.
NOTE: Milk WILL be served starting Tuesday, August 30.
Order Hot Lunch ONLINE:
St. Michael’s Episcopal School has partnered with orderlunches.com
to provide a secure, fast and easy-to-use online ordering system that allows parents to view our lunch menu, order, prepay and manage student lunches on the web.
- Registration and Ordering started on: Friday, August 19.
- Orders for the month of September must be placed by: Tuesday, August 30.
- The first lunch date is: Tuesday, September 6.
**Lower School Families: Please have your child bring a snack and a water bottle every day, including half-days.
Let's Be Good Neighbors: Please Drive Carefully
As both of our campuses are in residential neighborhoods, thank you for driving slowly and carefully as you drive to and from School.
As our students select their clothes for the first day of school, please remember to refer to our updated 2016-2017 Dress Code
- Click here for a copy of the Dress Code.
- Click here for helpful Dress Code examples.
Also, be sure to check out all the new St M items available through our Spiritwear website! Dragon PRIDE!
Say Cheese! School Picture Day Plan
School pictures will be taken at the Lower School on Tuesday, September 13. Picture order forms will be available at orientation or the first day of school. Please complete and return the photo order form to your child's teacher by Wednesday, September 7, even if you're not ordering photos as all students will have a picture taken for the yearbook.
School pictures will be taken at the Middle School on Wednesday, September 14. Picture order forms will be available at orientation or the first day of school. Please complete and return the photo order form to Erbie Godwin in the office by Wednesday, September 7, even if you're not ordering photos as all students will have a picture taken for the yearbook.
Register NOW for Extended Programs at St M!
Registration is now open for our Co-Curricular, Sports and Extended Programs. Details and registration links are below. A summary of offerings as well as links to forms can be found at: stmschool.net/community/co-curricular-sports-forms
Lower School: Core Extended Day Program
The Core Extended Day Program is offered to kindergarten through fifth grade students from St. Michael's and the Riverside School. Care is offered from 7-8 a.m. and 3-6 p.m. every day that school is in session. Extended Day will also be open on weekdays when the Lower School is closed (e.g., Columbus Day) or dismisses early for faculty professional development.
Program highlights include supervised study halls reinforcing good study-, organizational-, and time-management skills, as well as facilities providing opportunities for students to play outdoors and indoors (during inclement weather). Our mission is to provide each child with a positive, safe and enriching after-school experience.
- Click HERE for schedules & pricing, and to register. Please direct questions to Director of Extended Programs, Allyson Steele.
Lower School: After-School Enrichment
After-school enrichment activities provide opportunities for students to explore a variety of interests and develop new passions. Offerings this fall include Art (K-5), Band (grades 5-8), Chess (K-5), Field Hockey (grades 3-5), Fishing (grades 1-5), LEGO Engineering (K-5), Soccer (grades 3-5), and Tennis (K-5).
To cover staffing for our before and after-school programs as well as general administration, an annual $25 registration fee is billed for students taking advantage of enrichment programs. This fee is waived for those signed up for the Core Extended Day Program's 3-day and 5-day options.
- Click HERE for schedules & pricing, and to register. Note: offerings provided by partnering vendors may require additional registration. Please direct questions to Director of Extended Programs, Allyson Steele.
Middle School: Co-Curricular/Sports Program
Offerings continue to expand and this fall include: Band, Baseball, Cross-Country, Field Hockey, Lacrosse, LEGO, Mountain Biking, and Soccer. Please direct questions to our Athletic Director, Wally Kern
- Click HERE for schedules & pricing, and to register.
Let's Be Friends!
Get connected to keep abreast of St M news, events, calendar changes and information.
Current and past issues of "This Week at St. Michael's" are now archived on our website under "News and Events," as well as under "Community."
Dates to Remember...(Please check our improved online School Calendar for updates.) Click HERE for the '16-'17 Academic Calendar
Lower School (LS) First Day of School (Half Day).
- 8 a.m: Morning arrival time. School begins at 8:20 a.m.
- 11 a.m.: Kindergarten dismissal
- Noon: Grades 1-5 dismissal
- NOTE: Please have your child bring a snack and a water bottle every day, including half-days.
Middle School (MS) Orientation:
- 9:00 a.m.: Sixth Grade and New 7th and 8th Students Orientation, followed by locker set-up (Parents please attend)
- 10:30 a.m.: Returning students in Grades 7-8, followed by locker set-up.(Parents please attend)
- First FULL day for ALL students
- Lower School: Arrival begins at 8 a.m. School hours are 8:20 a.m.-3:00 p.m.
- Lower School Blessing of the Backpacks: 8:20 a.m.
- Middle School: Doors open at 7:45 a.m. School Hours are 8 a.m.-2:50 p.m.
- Middle School Blessing of the Backpacks: 8:00 a.m.
- MS Field Hockey Practice Begins: 3-4:30 p.m.
- MS Cross Country Practice Begins: 3:00- 4:30 p.m.
- MS Soccer Practice Begins: 3:00- 4:30 p.m.
- MS Field Hockey Practice: 3-4:30 p.m.
- MS Cross Country Practice: 3:00- 4:30 p.m.
- MS Soccer Practice: 3:00- 4:30 p.m.
- Middle School Opening Chapel, 1 p.m.
- MS Club Signup Day
- MS Cross Country Practice: 3-4:15 p.m*. (*note earlier end time)
- No School/Labor Day Holiday
Thursday, September 8:
- Lower School Back to School Night, 7 p.m., in the Church Sanctuary, Bon Air Campus
Tuesday, September 13:
- Lower School Picture Day
- Middle School Back to School Night, 7 p.m., in the Great Hall, Singleton Campus
Wednesday, September 14
- Middle School Picture Day