The U.S. tax season is upon us! Learn about resources to support you
The U.S. tax season is upon us! Learn about resources to support you
U.S. TAXES: Important information for international graduate students
Dear UCSB International Graduate Students,

The U.S. tax season is upon us! That means that you may be required to file a federal and/or state tax return as a nonresident alien in order to comply with U.S. tax law. The Graduate Division is here to provide some ongoing support to you throughout this process. Read on to find out more!

Attend a Tax Filing, Deductions, and Resources Workshop

The Graduate Student Resource Center’s funding peer advisor leads periodic workshops that are full of information about the tax process for graduate students. The next workshop will be held on Tuesday, March 17, from 1-2pm in SRB 2154.
Get federal tax preparation assistance from GLACIER Tax Prep

This year, the Graduate Division is excited to announce that all UCSB international graduate students will have free access to GLACIER Tax Prep (GTP), an online system designed to help nonresident aliens prepare their federal tax return. In the coming days, you will receive a separate email with an access code that is unique to you that can be used to access this online system.

Some important things to note:

GLACIER Tax Prep (or GTP) is different from GLACIER. GLACIER is a compliance system that our university uses to ensure that we are paying nonresident alien employees in compliance with federal tax law. GTP is an optional add-on service that helps support nonresident aliens in the actual preparation of their federal tax return.

GTP can be used to electronically prepare your federal tax return but you will still be required to print and mail in your return. GTP does not allow you to electronically file your return through their system.

GTP can be used to prepare your federal tax return but not state tax returns. If you would like assistance preparing your state tax return, there are a number of pay-for-service vendors you may use. More information can be found through the GTP website.
Make sure you have all your applicable W-2 and 1042-S forms before filing your taxes

Most students should have received their W-2 form already from UCSB for income earned through the university in 2019. Many of you may also receive a Form 1042-S, which contains information about the parts of your university income that are subject to withholding. Form 1042-S will be made available to you through GLACIER some time around the end of February. Please note that you will need to collect all of the necessary forms that are applicable to you before you file your taxes.
Taxes are complicated. Who can you contact if you have questions?

W-2 Forms: You may access your W-2 online at and call the UCPath Center (855-982-7284) if you need help

1042-S Forms: These will be made available to you through GLACIER near the end of February, you may contact Ron Hirst, Tax Compliance Analyst ( if you have questions

Gaining access to GTP: You will be receiving a separate email in the next few days with instructions on how to access GTP, if you have any issues you may contact Shawn Warner, Director of Professional Development (

Specific questions about your tax situation or federal return preparation: Contact the GTP Support Center through the GTP website Help link (note: no support is provided via phone calls)

General information on tax filing, deductions, and resources for graduate students at UCSB: Kaitlyn Ugoretz, Funding Peer Advisor (

General support for your experience as an international graduate student at UCSB: Julia McClenon, International Peer Advisor (

powered by emma
Subscribe to our email list.