Community Advisory 9.13.2021: Public Safety Updates
Public Safety has concluded its investigation into the incident that occurred shortly after 2 a.m. on Saturday, September 11 and was shared later that morning with the community by BIRT. Below is a summary of findings, based on interviews conducted and surveillance reviewed by Public Safety investigators.
- At approximately 1:29 a.m., a vehicle entered LMU’s Westchester Campus to drop off an LMU student to their residence.
- At approximately 2:09 a.m., three occupants of the vehicle yelled racist epithets and made offensive sounds toward a group of Black pedestrians near
- The three vehicle occupants were not members of the LMU Community. They have since acknowledged their roles in the incident and expressed regret.
- Earlier this evening, Public Safety and Student Affairs met with the students who reported the incident and shared investigation findings, which included an apology from the respondents.
- The vehicle occupants have been banned from LMU campuses.
Public Safety commends the complainants for walking as a group during late hours and thanks them for immediately reporting the incident. Please consult Campus Life Safety Tips for additional resources and guidelines for safety. As a reminder, download the Rave Guardian App or contact Public Safety at firstname.lastname@example.org or 310.338.2893.