Welcome to MSU, Spartan!
We are excited to be your home for the next two years. MSU has a two-year live-on requirement to support your academic success — studies show students who live on campus for two years are more likely to graduate! Live On will be here to support you every step of the way!
Over the next few months, you'll receive email from us with details and info that will help you prepare for life on campus. We can't wait to see you in the fall!
Safety is Our Top Priority
Your physical and mental health, safety and well-being is important to us. Live On, in coordination with MSU Police and Public Safety and other campus partners, works to provide a safe and secure living environment for all residents.
Residence Hall Safety
- Residence hall living wings are locked 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- A valid MSU ID card is required for access to living wings and elevators, along with building entrances after hours.
- Guests must be escorted by a resident for the duration of their stay.
- Residence hall room doors are equipped with viewers.
Security cameras are strategically placed to enhance the overall safety and security of campus. Attention is paid to entries and exits, common areas, and areas where cash and credit card transactions occur. There are no cameras in rooms or bathrooms.
- Residence halls are equipped with fire alarm systems and fire-rated doors.
- Students are encouraged to keep their room door locked whenever closed and not let unknown guests into their hall or floor.
Green Emergency Phones
These phones are installed on every residence hall floor, as well as around campus, and connect directly to 911 with the push of a single button.
The app provides access to a number of safety resources right from your smartphone.
Virtual friend walk feature
- One-touch emergency calls
- Access to Safe Ride from the Associated Students of Michigan State University
Link to Night Owl from the Capital Area Transportation Authority (CATA)
- Form to send tips to the police
- Available from App Store and Google Play
Emergency Notification System
MSU’s emergency notification system sends emergency text messages to MSU community members. When students enroll at MSU, their MSU email is automatically added to the university’s emergency alert system. To receive alert notifications on a cell phone, students must update their contact information at alert.msu.edu.
Update Your Emergency Contact Information
Keeping your contact information up to date is the best way to ensure you're receiving important information in a timely manner.
- Verify your emergency contact number in SIS.
- To add additional emergency notification contact numbers, go to alert.msu.edu.
On-campus students can update their "missing student contact information" by clicking "Submit Missing Person Emergency Contact" in My Housing. This is an option to identify a specific contact who would be notified in the event that a student is determined to be missing.
Health and Wellness
In addition to your physical safety, the emotional and physical well-being of our students is also important!
MSU's Counseling & Psychiatric Services (CAPS) offers confidential, same-day help and digital resources to students regarding a broad range of mental health concerns. 24/7 virtual crisis counseling is available. Students can call CAPS at 517-355-8270 and press “1” at the prompt to speak with a crisis counselor anytime. Visit caps.msu.edu for more information.
Student Health Services
Three medical office visits are prepaid for enrolled MSU students each academic year. Primary care services are available at Olin Health Center year-round. Olin also has a laboratory, physical therapy services, gynecology services, immunizations and allergy injections. Telehealth appointments are available for some services. Neighborhood clinics are typically open during the fall and spring semesters. Appointments are required. Visit olin.msu.edu for more information.
Recreational Sports and Fitness Services
MSU students pay a mandatory fee of $90 per semester on their tuition bill to help fund enhancements to Rec Sports Facilities. Students need to activate their membership in the membership self-serve system. Learn more at recsports.msu.edu. Membership includes:
- Spartan Greens, a recently updated turf complex for intramural sports
- Three indoor fitness facilities across campus, intramural and club sports including lacrosse, soccer, flag football, ultimate frisbee, softball and baseball
- Outdoor activity spaces including volleyball, basketball and tennis courts
In-hall cardio rooms are available at no charge in each campus neighborhood
Stay Up to Date
Visit liveon.msu.edu or follow us @msuliveon for more info!
Manage your preferences | Opt Out using TrueRemove™
Got this as a forward? Sign up to receive our future emails.
View this email online.
550 S. Harrison Road | East Lansing, MI 48823 US
This email was sent to .
To continue receiving our emails, add us to your address book.