In an effort to improve communication between ECS/UAS and faculty colleagues, the Executive Committee of the Senate (ECS) at its August 17, 2022, retreat reaffirmed a recommendation from August 12, 2021, that each week, a general message will be sent out to all faculty. This message will highlight the immediate past ECS/UAS meeting and give a preview of the upcoming ECS/UAS meeting. In particular, the highlight will summarize the key agenda items and provide context on the key votes; the pros and cons will be summarized and the key arguments for each highlighted. Herein are the highlights of the ECS meeting of January 20, 2023, and a preview of the UAS meeting of February 3, 2023. Meetings of the ECS are restricted to members of the ECS, their alternates, and others whom the ECS may invite, pursuant to SG 1.01.7.2. Meetings of the UAS are open pursuant to SG 1.01.6.2.
Highlights of ECS Meeting of January 20, 2023
- The Title IX external review will occur this semester, with opportunities to provide feedback to the external reviewers.
- The theme of the 2022-23 UAS Newsletter is Lakers Ready for Equity and Sustainability. The deadline to submit an article to Chair Ngassa is March 15.
- Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Commemoration Week had an impressive lineup of speakers. There were many excellent points raised. We need to be deliberate in keeping this in mind all the time and not just the commemoration week. The experiences of all of our students, faculty, and staff matter. Think about the agency we have to create more positive experiences.
Student Senate President’s Report:
- Efforts are being made toward preparation and promotion for President’s Ball. Ticket sales have exceeded expectations.
- Election petitions are live.
- Will see credit/no credit legislation at ECS 2/10.
- Recommendations are being solicited from students to select professors to give lectures as part of the Last Lecture Series.
- Members of the AP Executive Committee presented on retention of AP staff.
- The Academic Policies and Standards Committee (APSC) Memo on Academic Freedom was discussed. APSC proposed changes to the academic freedom policy. A motion to approve with recommendation to UAS was unanimously supported.
- The APSC Memo on Cancellation, Closure, and Remote Status During Final Exams was discussed. A motion to accept the report and thank the committee for its work was supported.
- The Faculty Salary and Budget Committee (FSBC) Memo on Adjunct Pay was discussed. FSBC recommended increasing the minimum for adjunct pay. A motion to support with recommendation to UAS passed.
- The FSBC Memo on Update to Faculty Salary Adjustment Program was discussed. FSBC recommended that special salary adjustments would have documentation and promotion increments would be adjusted annually. A motion to support with recommendation to UAS was passed.
- The FSBC Memo on Affiliate Promotional Increment was discussed. FSBC recommended increasing the promotional increment for affiliate faculty from $1000 to $5000. A motion to support with recommendation to UAS passed.
- The FSBC Memo on Administrative Salaries was discussed. FSBC noted that last year after concerns were raised about administrative raises relative to faculty raises, the administrative raises were more in line with faculty raises. A motion to accept the report and thank the committee for their work passed.
- The APSC Memo on Late Withdrawals Policy was discussed. APSC recommended that the policy put in place during COVID continue permanently. A motion to approve on behalf of UAS, so that the policy could be implemented this semester, passed.
For more details on the above items, please go here.
Preview of UAS Meeting of February 3, 2023
- Presentation on University Budget
- Presentation on Scholarship System Update
- Presentation on the University Libraries Collections
- Graduate Council (GC) Memo on 8-Year Time Limit Policy
- Academic Policies and Standards Committee (APSC) Memo on Academic Freedom
- Faculty Salary and Budget Committee (FSBC) Memo on Independent Studies Compensation
- FSBC Memo on Adjunct Pay
- FSBC Memo on Update to Faculty Salary Adjustment Program
- FSBC Memo on Affiliate Promotional Increment
Please, feel free to reach out to your ECS or UAS representative from your College/University Libraries to provide input on any UAS agenda item that you may like to weigh in on.
Thank you for your continuous interest in faculty governance.
Felix N. Ngassa
Chair of ECS/UAS 2022-2023