Highlight of ECS Meeting of February 24, and
Preview of UAS Meeting of March 17, 2023
In an effort to improve communication between ECS/UAS and faculty colleagues, the Executive Committee of the Senate (ECS) at its August 17, 2022, retreat reaffirmed a recommendation from August 12, 2021, that each week, a general message will be sent out to all faculty. This message will highlight the immediate past ECS/UAS meeting and give a preview of the upcoming ECS/UAS meeting. In particular, the highlight will summarize the key agenda items and provide context on the key votes; the pros and cons will be summarized and the key arguments for each highlighted. Herein are the highlights of the ECS meeting of February 24, 2023, and a preview of the UAS meeting of March 17, 2023. Meetings of the ECS are restricted to members of the ECS, their alternates, and others whom the ECS may invite, pursuant to SG 1.01.7.2. Meetings of the UAS are open pursuant to SG 1.01.6.2.
Highlights of ECS Meeting of February 24, 2023
- The theme of the 2022-23 UAS Newsletter is Lakers Ready for Equity and Sustainability. The deadline to submit an article to Chair Ngassa is March 15.
The Winter 2023 faculty forums will be held on Tuesday 3/14 from 10-11:30 and Wednesday 3/15 from 2:30-4 on the topic of workload. All faculty are encouraged to attend. In order to register and get a Zoom link, please go to the faculty governance website at https://www.gvsu.edu/facultygov/.
Chair Ngassa communicated with the VP of Enrollment Development and Educational Outreach, the AVP for HR, the AP Committee, and the PSS Union about their Equity and Inclusion Committee (EIC) bylaws’ expectation of membership and meeting attendance.
- New Programs Council met to revise the forms for new program prospectuses and new academic unit or college proposals in order to better position proposers for success. NPC is also creating an FAQ list.
Questions were raised by ECS members about the Campus Master Plan Update 2022, which was presented at the BOT meeting of February 24. It was shared that the Master Plan is a “product” of Facilities Services, and the Strategic Enrollment Management Plan (SEMP) is a “product” of the Division of Enrollment Development & Educational Outreach. Before the release of the current Campus Master Plan Update 2022, the last Campus Master Plan was released in 2018. The current updated plan was necessary to align with the goals from the Reach Higher 2025 strategic plan. The Master Plan is a vision. In order to build the future of GVSU, we all have to stay involved with feedback and ideas when the time comes to build out what has been envisioned.
Based on the questions about the Campus Master Plan Update 2022 during the Chair’s Report, the Provost shared that the Campus Master Plan Update 2022 is not a spending plan. This is used each year when GVSU requests money from the state.
- A forum on ChatGPT had 186 attendees and there was great follow-up afterward. A forum on the earthquake in Turkey and Syria had 50 attendees.
There were two remote days due to weather. The University is considering whether remote days or snow days are better. Comments from ECS members suggested that remote days may be more challenging from some marginalized populations than for others. If K-12 schools are also remote or cancelled, remote days may be challenging for individuals with children in the home. Some students may not have the technology to work remotely. Preparation to put classes online that were planned for face-to-face is challenging with short notice.
- Upon recommendation by the President and the SLT, Chief DeHaan gave an excellent presentation on safety to the GV community. This was necessary because of questions and concerns from the GVSU community following the tragic shooting incident that happened at MSU.
Student Senate President’s Report:
- Members of Student Senate will attend the United Student Government Conference.
- Election petitions are due February 24 at 5pm.
- The LIFT-MC Memo on Review and Feedback on Modifying Open-ended Questions on LIFT Forms was tabled and will be discussed at the ECS summer retreat.
- Chris Swank presented on GVSU parking.
Dean Lawson presented on the Downtown Living Learning Community. The learning portion was successful during the pilot, but the living portion needs more planning. This is currently on pause.
- Chief DeHaan presented on the active shooter response. A video for faculty on safety is in pre-production.
The Faculty Facilities Planning Advisory Committee (FFPAC) recommendation to add a member of facilities services as ex-officio, non-voting member, was supported with recommendation to UAS.
- ECS will discuss adding wayfinding issues in interior spaces to FFPAC’s formal charges for 2023-2024, during the summer retreat.
The Affiliate Faculty Advisory Committee (AFAC) recommendation to add that senior affiliates are eligible for contracts of up to six years and change the senior affiliate promotion increment from $1000 to $5000, per the FSBC memo regarding this change, was supported with recommendation to UAS.
For more details on the above items, please go here.
Preview of UAS Meeting of March 17, 2023
- Discussion on Required Course Materials and Student Success
- Review of Final Report and Recommendation of UAS/EIC Involvement with the Teach-In
- Campus Safety Update by GVPD
- Student Senate Memo on Student Wages
- Student Senate Memo on Credit/No Credit Policy
- Review of Proposal to Amend SG 2.05.2
- Faculty Personnel Policy Committee (FPPC) Memo on FPPC Membership Update
- FPPC Memo on Modification to SG 3.07.C
Faculty Facilities Planning Advisory Committee (FFPAC) Memo on Facilities Services Membership
- Affiliate Faculty Advisory Committee (AFAC) Memo on Affiliate Faculty Contract Length
Please, feel free to reach out to your ECS or UAS representative from your College/University Libraries to provide input on any UAS agenda item that you may like to weigh in on.
Thank you for your continuous interest in faculty governance.
1 Campus Drive
3090 James H. Zumberge Hall
Allendale, MI 49401
Unsubscribe from future emails