Highlight of UAS Meeting of October 27, and Preview of ECS Meeting of November 3
In an effort to improve communication between ECS/UAS and faculty colleagues, the Executive Committee of the Senate (ECS) at its August 16, 2023, retreat reaffirmed a recommendation from August 12, 2021, that each week, a general message be sent out to all faculty. This message will highlight the immediate past ECS/UAS meeting and give a preview of the upcoming ECS/UAS meeting. In particular, the highlight will summarize the key agenda items and provide context on the key votes; the pros and cons will be summarized and the key arguments for each highlighted. Herein are the highlights of the UAS meeting of October 27, 2023, and a preview of the ECS meeting of November 3, 2023. Meetings of the ECS are restricted to members of the ECS, their alternates, and others whom the ECS may invite, pursuant to SG 1.01.7.2. Meetings of the UAS are open pursuant to SG 1.01.6.2.
Highlights of UAS Meeting of October 27, 2023
The 11th Annual Teach-in will be held Wednesday 11/8 and Thursday 11/9 in a hybrid format. The purpose is mutual education among students, faculty, and staff. The Teach-In is intended to address topics related to inequality and systems of oppression, as well as social justice and liberation. Faculty are encouraged to attend and bring their students. More information on the Teach-In can be found here.
- The Provost attended the Leading Lakers session developed by Human Resources, which will be made available to the campus community.
Search firms are being interviewed for the positions in AWRI and PCEC.
- The GVSU Quest Series Session on sustainability was held.
- UAS members asked questions on the transition to Workday. More information on the upcoming transition and work-arounds for dates during which some activities will be suspended will be shared in Lakers Ready.
Student Senate President's Report
- The Student Senate is working on restructuring processes.
The Diversity Affairs Committee is spearheading the Student Senate’s help with the Teach-In.
- The Student Senate is appointing senators to university committees.
The General Education Committee (GEC) Memo on Modifications to GEC Bylaws proposed adding “b) to provide materials to assist instructors in teaching and assessing the general education knowledge and skills goals” to the bylaws language, making this a standing charge of GEC. The motion to support passed unanimously.
The reorganization of PCEC was discussed. After discussing the process and reviewing relevant bylaws language in our Shared Governance Policies, UAS supported the proposal with 22/40 (55%) votes to support, 13/40 (33%) not to support, and 5/40 (13%) abstention.
For more details on the above items, please go here.
Preview of ECS Meeting of November 3, 2023
- Online Education and Microcredential Council (OEMC) Memo on Program Modality Definitions
Faculty Salary and Budget Committee (FSBC) Memo on Updating Faculty Governance Committee Structure
- Discussion of Memo from Workload and Significant Focus Task Force
- College of Health Professions (CHP) Memo on CHP CPC Representation
- Discussion on Faculty Working 100% Remote
Discussion of Consent Agenda Adoption for UAS
Please, feel free to reach out to your ECS or UAS representative from your College/University Libraries to provide input on any ECS agenda item that you may like to weigh in on.
Thank you for your continuous interest in faculty governance.
1 Campus Drive
3090 James H. Zumberge Hall
Allendale, MI 49401
Unsubscribe from future emails