ELECTRIC SCOOTER THEFTS
Since September 19, 2023, the Sacramento State Police Department has received several reports of electric scooter thefts on campus. These thefts have occurred at the Riverview Hall bike compound, American River Courtyard bike rack, and the Well.
We encourage everyone to register their bike or scooter with the Sacramento State Police Department for free. We also recommend using high-quality locks, like a U-lock, to secure electric scooters to a bike rack or park and lock them in a staffed bike compound.
The Sacramento State Police Department is actively investigating these crimes. If you have any information that could be helpful in these investigations, please get in touch with the Police Department at 916-278-6000.
Sacramento State is committed to maintaining a safe campus for all members of the University community. No one deserves to be victimized in any way; crimes are 100 percent the responsibility of the perpetrator. With this in mind, Sacramento State suggests the following tips for keeping our community safe and reducing personal risk.
- Be an active bystander. If you see something that doesn’t seem right, intervene if you can do so safely, and report the incident to campus authorities.
- Only use designated bike compounds and racks. Lock your bike or scooter to a permanent, anchored bike rack around campus. Do not lock your bike or scooter to trees, handrails, posts, or chain link fences.
- Avoid leaving your bicycle or electric scooter outside at night if possible.
- Using strong locks helps deter bike and scooter thefts.
- Register your bicycle or electric scooter with the Sacramento State Police Department. This is a free service! Bikes and scooters can be registered at any staffed bike compound or the Sacramento State Police Department.